German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unique things you have trained your dog to do, and how you did it... Things that are not part of traditional obedience but friends find amazing!

For example:
I have taught my dogs that they are only allowed on the main floor of the house. Not upstairs, not in the basement. No gates no doors. I just never let them from the time they first come home. I stick to the theory of never letting a puppy out of site while house breaking, so any time the dog wanders over to the stairs, they get an uh-uh, and called over for attention. Within a few weeks they don't even bother. This isn't very hard, but it seems to truly amaze people.

Let's hear your stories!

·
Registered
30,894 Posts
I taught my Jax to go into the crate to get the food bowl because I was to lazy to crawl in there. So when she was hungry, she would go get her bowl and THROW it at me by tossing her head back as she released the bowl. From that, she learned that if she didn't like what she was eating, she had the capability to spit food across the room.

I miss that dog Every. Single. Day.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
^ Awwww! What a cute and lovable boy Jax must have been! I am sorry for your loss.

-------------------------------

This is going to be a fun thread Jorski!

Josie and I often go on hikes and she has a habit of pooping shortly we get on the trail. I set aside the poop bag on the side of the trail and pick it up on the way back to the trail head. Each time she would go, i would say 'poopie'. One time I could not remember where I hid the poop bag (everything looks so similar in the desert sometimes) I kept saying 'where is the poop bag where is the poop bag?' until I found it. Since then I would ask 'Where is the poop bag' and one day it seemed Josie veered off to one side of the trail, nose to the ground and voila..nose on her poop bag! There could be other poop bags on the trail but she still manages to find her own poop bag. I've trained her to sit once she detects her poop bag so it looks like an official :LOL:
So she is now PP(b)D trained... Personal poop bag detection. lol. :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I began working at a dog daycare and I swear every other male dog is named Jax...! For females it’s Lily, Daisy, Ellie and Zoey. Anywho!

Brinks knows what his different toys are called and will go retrieve them when I say “go get your ___!” Or if I tell him to find a particular item. He will even go find my elderly pit bull if she has gone wayward as I feel she is bordering on senility. He’s also gone and brought back my friends dog who got loose on a hike.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Josie and I often go on hikes and she has a habit of pooping shortly we get on the trail. I set aside the poop bag on the side of the trail and pick it up on the way back to the trail head. Each time she would go, i would say 'poopie'. One time I could not remember where I hid the poop bag (everything looks so similar in the desert sometimes) I kept saying 'where is the poop bag where is the poop bag?' until I found it. Since then I would ask 'Where is the poop bag' and one day it seemed Josie veered off to one side of the trail, nose to the ground and voila..nose on her poop bag! There could be other poop bags on the trail but she still manages to find her own poop bag. I've trained her to sit once she detects her poop bag so it looks like an official :LOL:
So she is now PP(b)D trained... Personal poop bag detection. lol. :)
@xthine: Quite professional xthine! You have your own Poop bag detector now! Sadly I have yet to find what Kias's little funny training habit is going to be.

@atomic : I know a little Jack Russel who when told "Go get Molly" will go and find his older blind companion and lead her outside. It's really cute. This little guy is also taught to ring a little bell if he wants to go outside to use the bathroom! He's only a year old too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I taught my Jax to go into the crate to get the food bowl because I was to lazy to crawl in there. So when she was hungry, she would go get her bowl and THROW it at me by tossing her head back as she released the bowl. From that, she learned that if she didn't like what she was eating, she had the capability to spit food across the room.

I miss that dog Every. Single. Day.
Oh boy. I bet she took advantage of her skills, didn't she. I noticed that it's the more habitual and mischievous the pet is the more you miss them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, here is one more from a long time ago. When I was a teenager, we had an Irish Setter who was really smart. I first taught her to speak - nothing unusual about that. Then I taught her to keep barking until my hand went down by my side. So, I used to tell kids that she could do math. What's 2+2? She barks until I put my hand down after the 4th bark etc...lol. Sometimes she could even multiply and divide... ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I play video games online with friends. We talk in a chat function. When I go to get up to get a drink or get something I'll say "be right back". Everytime I say it Toby comes running from where ever he is in the house to see where I'm going. I'm a volunteer firefighter, I get alerts on my phone for fire calls. If I'm sleeping and the alert goes off Toby jumps down off the bed and sits off to the side of the bedroom, because he knows ill be getting up and leaving for the call.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Good thread. The best unique things are the ones that I didn't teach them. It's the things that they figured out on their own. They both had many unique things. With my first GSD, the one that sticks out in my mind is "nose push." We'd be playing ball on the kitchen floor. I'd be on the ground and he'd be in a down position. I'd roll the ball to him. He'd roll it right back to me by flicking his head up and the ball would roll right back to me. I'd put a command (nose push) to it. In his later years when he wasn't so mobile anymore, that was one of his favorite games. When he was bored, he'd go get the ball, drop it, and "nose push" the ball right to me. He was pretty accurate with it too. I made a golf game out of it...placed a cup on the floor and he'd nose push the ball into the cup. I wish I had filmed it.

With my current one...it seems he's multilingual. I'd tell my mother to give him a duck feet treat in another language and he'd know right away and get into his "place" and wait. The next time, in another completely different language at a different time of the day and he'd know again and get into the position. We'd constantly talk about him in other languages and he'd know. When I talk to him and give him commands, it's always in English. Like I'd tell my mom that I'm taking him out for a walk in another language and he'd know and run to the door really excited.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not exactly intentional, but I am not a good runner so I use an app that does running/walking with Cooper and it will chime when to run and when to walk. Cooper picked up on that pretty quick and when the phone chimes he already starts running, hahaha.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Interrupting ruminating behaviors (hunched over, hands on head/covering face, deeply enveloped in content on phone, etc) - I taught Steel by placing a treat between my hands near my face and calling him over a few times. He pushes my hands away from my head and gets in my face and makes pig noises (sniffing, I think). It took about 10 minutes at 7 months and he still does it to this day unprompted. He's a goofy guy that manges to cheer me up when I need it.

Also, tv time is cuddling time. He learned he could have a bone on the bed while I watched tv. That quickly evolved to having a bone while leaning against me to just laying on me and sleeping while I watch tv or read.

·
Registered
30,894 Posts
Not exactly intentional, but I am not a good runner so I use an app that does running/walking with Cooper and it will chime when to run and when to walk. Cooper picked up on that pretty quick and when the phone chimes he already starts running, hahaha.
🤣 Seger has figured out we are almost at our destination when the GPS says so. And then he starts loudly whining. I figured that out when he started howling right before getting to a place he had never been before.

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
We have unintentionally taught Cava that she must alert us to her poop. When we got her Halo was in the late stage of DM, her back legs were useless but she could drag herself around by her front legs. She was pretty much incontinent. Keefer was almost 13 years old, and also pretty much incontinent. Like a young puppy he didn't have a lot of advance notice that he needed to poop, and he couldn't move very fast. He'd try to get outside in time but wasn't always successful. Since it was late Spring, we'd just keep the doors from the house to the garage and the garage outside to the dog run open. Less barriers for them to have to navigate to get outside. Cava could easily get outside to do her business. Worked great for everyone. Or so we thought......

Fast forward to that winter when it was too cold to leave the doors open all the time. Turns out, Cava had never learned how to let us know that she needed to go out because she could walk outside at will. She was stymied by the closed door. Whut? How poop? Even though we went through gallons of Nature's Miracle, our rugs probably still had enough lingering odor to be confusing for her, so she would try to go outside, find a closed door, and apparently decide to just go poop on that rug over there. Because that's an alternate poop spot, right? Ugh.

So we basically had to start over with house training. We tried to remember to make sure the door wasn't closed all the way so it wasn't latched, and I taught her that she could push it open by herself. And we started making a big deal about outdoor potties, complete with a little piece of freeze dried liver. Operation potty re-train was SO successful that every time she poops she comes in the house and finds us and pesters us until we go outside to look. She will go to her poop, point to it with her nose and look at us. She waits expectantly for us to get the scoop and take care of it. This is apparently a major accomplishment. Pooping outdoors, unprecedented! 🤣 And if she doesn't get her liver treat every single time, she refuses to come back in the house until we realize the error of our ways. We have created a monster, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Forty years ago, I had a husky-shepherd mix. She was overly enthusiastic when anyone came over to the house. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to teach her to 'put away their shoes,' so she had something to do when someone came in the door.

For the rest of her life, if anyone ever left a shoe lying on the floor she would hide it under my bed. Us kids thought it was hilarious. Grownups often had a different opinion of her antics.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Pogo & Tall.
Pogo is popping straight up in the air in front of me. Tall is standing tall on two legs.
These were both natural behaviours, pogo when leashed and excited (a no-pull compromise) and Tall when his view of something intensely interesting is obscured, to get a good look. I 'captured' them, meaning I marked 'yes' & reward (treat) when he did them, and once he was performing for me (rather than doing them anyway) I prompted with the word. Pogo won me best trick at the Strawberry Festival, last year, whoo hoo (slight sarcasm, you know, small town pet dog contest, but fun).

Thing I did not teach, but weird. My cats get fed from those rolling puzzle balls. I used to keep them in the bedroom (off-limits to dog) but moved them into a common room. Sonic, of course, likes cat food, & I use it as treats sometimes, but he does not go for the puzzle balls. One night, cats on lap, I thought I heard quiet puzzle ball rolling, I mentioned it, to the husband, he said he heard nothing, I asked 'where's Sonic', answer, drinking water, which, by then, he was doing. Haven't heard the puzzle ball mystery roll since. He seems to have a sense of mine is mine & yours is yours and it extends to the cats & puzzle balls.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts