711 Posts
Female names I like: Ilka and Leontine.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Are those the wolfy looking dogs?

Congrats!
Yuppers! Thanks :D.

hope you will keep us updated. what made you decide on this new breed?
I really liked that all of the breeding stock was health and temperament tested, and with excellent hip scores and longevity. I also like that the breeder really encourages buyers to put titles on their dogs because she wants to know what the offspring are capable of so she can adjust breeding's. She even goes so far as to give $50 per title.

I also think it's a good idea to have a wolfy looking breed that is just a dog. Too many people get a wolf or a wolfdog purely for the looks, they aren't at all interested in the behavior, and then they end up dumping it when it acts too much like a wolf. I think having a breed around that looks like a wolf but acts like a dog will fill that void for people who want a wolfy looking animal but can't(or shouldn't) care for a wolfy acting animal. That means less wolfdogs getting dumped, and less wolves being captured in the wild to use for breeding :).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yuppers! Thanks :D.

I really liked that all of the breeding stock was health and temperament tested, and with excellent hip scores and longevity. I also like that the breeder really encourages buyers to put titles on their dogs because she wants to know what the offspring are capable of so she can adjust breeding's. She even goes so far as to give $50 per title.

I also think it's a good idea to have a wolfy looking breed that is just a dog. Too many people get a wolf or a wolfdog purely for the looks, they aren't at all interested in the behavior, and then they end up dumping it when it acts too much like a wolf. I think having a breed around that looks like a wolf but acts like a dog will fill that void for people who want a wolfy looking animal but can't(or shouldn't) care for a wolfy acting animal. That means less wolfdogs getting dumped, and less wolves being captured in the wild to use for breeding :).
I look forward to hearing about your new puppy and seeing pictures. I will be watching closely! ;)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I love the list, what a great resource :)

I love that my next dog's name isn't on it so that's a good sign ;):D

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
You are a genius.. this should be stickied.. LOL!
Agree. Done. Do you think this is the right forum for this or would it be better in one of the puppy forums?

ADMIN Lisa

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
More Female Names

Aslaug, Attina, Andrina

Elisef

Kairi

Lagertha

Namine

Siggy

Theory, Thyri, Torvi

Xion

More Male Names

Athelstan, Ansem

Bjorn

Clive, Cormac, Crime, Crisis, Chrome, Cloud

Diablo, Dresden

Even

Floki

Horik, Hydra, Hayner

Ironside

Kerchak

Leif, Lestat, Leon, Lumiere

Prime, Pegasus, Pence

Ragnar, Rollo, Rancid, Reaper, Rinzler, Rhyme, Riku

Shiver, Saxon, Svein, Sora, Stitch

Templar, Tiberius, Tiberon, Tidus, Terra

Vexen, Ventus, Vanitas

Xemnas, Xehanort

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
More Female Names

Amaretto

Banshee

Cayenne, Chili, Cyan, Cider

Ebony, Ember

Garnet

Ivory

Liberty, Lunar

Merlot

Sahara, Sillouette, Spirit

Tigerlily, Tequilla

Velvet

More Male Names

Azure

Carbon, Charcoal, Clay, Crow, Cricket, Cynge, Copper

Eclipse

Fiddler, Falcor, Fonze

Hatchet, Hellion

Indigo

Jester

Polar

Sledge, Saffron, Soot, Storm

Tamalee, Tabasco, Tar

Vader, Vapor

Yukon

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
More Female Names

Countess, Camelot

Divinity

Empress

Nightshade, Necromancer

Olympia

Panther

Seraphim, Shylock, Spellbinder

Winter, Widow

More Male Names

Assassin, Avenger

Emo

Fearless

Kettle, Kingsford

Merlin, Mega

Nightmare

Obsidian

Sitka

Tuxedo

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I am unreasonably happy that my girl's name is not on any of these lists - I was going for unique.

However, I also don't share it on forums because it actually DOES appear to be unique. I've never heard of another dog with the name, and I searched this site for all of the names on my short lists to find out if anyone mentioned using them and nothing came up for the name I ended up giving her.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Love all these names! Hope more folks will share!

When I was a kid (my parents love animals as much as I do) we had a houseful of rescues and ended up going with an alcohol theme. haha. visitors and friends looked at my parents like they were a couple lushes... they were Whiskey, Corona, Budweiser(Bud)...

When I was a baby my parents had a dog named Chewie (Chewbacca) which was especially bad considering they then named my older brother Luke, and me Leia. No. I'm not kidding....

21 - 40 of 120 Posts