German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I'm here again because my 1st experience on this forum was such a great one and I thought maybe I could use a little help again. My apologies for any grammar mistakes, English is not my first language. I hope I am not breaking the rules. It's truly not my intention to criticize a breeder.

Some days ago I made a thread explaining my current situation; in short, I want a GSD puppy. My last German Shepherd died two years ago and now I feel it's the right time for me to have a German Shepherd again. I have a beloved Golden Retriever, but I miss everything about the german breed, especially their unique and strong loyalty towards their owners. Meanwhile my Golden loves everyone and that's it.

Anyway, for this past month I have been in contact with a lot of breeders in my country. Some of them are based in another cities but I am willing to travel to meet the parents, the litter, to see the facilities up close and all. But so far I had no sucess. I went to a breeder who tried to push me into buying a puppy, I had just arrived at the kennel and his contract was already on the table. I didn't even see the parents. I went to a breeder who said the puppies would be available to go home with 42 days of age, and what's even worse is that their mother died while giving birth to them.

I also went to see a breeder whose father of the litter is currently in Germany and he's a V2 and IPO3 dog. I admit I don't know much about how those titles/certifications works, but I do know that's pretty much by my country's breeding standards. I was in love with a puppy that I affectionately nicknamed as "golden puppy" given his father's status and his really great German lineage. I met his mother and she has such good temperament, better than my Golden's. But I guess I had so many questions the breeder got offended and refused to sell me the golden puppy. He was the runt of the litter and I wanted to take him to a vet just to be sure before buying. I told the breeder about this and told him to put this clause on our contract- I guess that was the last straw. I was heartbroken.

The current breeder I am talking to (from another city) has two adorable puppies, he's a veterinarian, and everyone speaks highly of him. I was going to travel and meet the puppies. But he doesn't want to do a contract. Refused to do so. It seems I will never find a reputable breeder who ticks all the boxes in my country. I'm just so frustrated.

*I'm editing this just to say that I actually have been to seven kennels and I got in contact with fifteen breeders from other cities via phone calls or emails. That's why I'm so frustrated. It wasn't only four breeders! I wish!!

Does someone here have a good reference of a breeder in Brazil? I was thinking about searching overseas, but then again, reputable breeders don't ship worldwide, do they!?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I don't have any helpful advice to offer. I'm just sorry you are having such a hard time finding a pup. I know that people have imported dogs from other countries. I see no reason that Brazil would be any different.

Hopefully, people with experience in importing pups will jump in with good information - the pros and cons of importing a puppy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't have any helpful advice to offer. I'm just sorry you are having such a hard time finding a pup. I know that people have imported dogs from other countries. I see no reason that Brazil would be any different.

Hopefully, people with experience in importing pups will jump in with good information - the pros and cons of importing a puppy.
Hello! Thank you very much for your kind words! I really appreciate it.
I'm really thinking about importing a puppy. Seems easier than going through all the trouble and stress.
Let's see what happens.
Thank you again :)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I have no advice to offer, but just wanted to say your English is better than some native English speakers I know!

I wish you the best of luck with your search. Buying a dog is a big commitment, and not something to be rushed. Take your time, and be patient. If the breeder is a good breeder, there is NO SUCH THING as too many questions!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no advice to offer, but just wanted to say your English is better than some native English speakers I know!

I wish you the best of luck with your search. Buying a dog is a big commitment, and not something to be rushed. Take your time, and be patient. If the breeder is a good breeder, there is NO SUCH THING as too many questions!
Hello! Thank you so so much for your kind words about my English! :) :)
And you did offer me a GREAT advice, don't worry! "If the breeder is a good breeder, there is NO SUCH THING as too many questions!" I will keep that in mind next time I am interviewing them! lol.
And yes I will try to be more patient. It just makes me so sad to see that a lot of breeders in my country don't really care about their potential buyers and their puppies' future homes. I think only one breeder asked me if I was a first time owner. It's frustrating.
Thank you again for you kindness! :) :) :)

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Amigo, I looked at the last breeder's, which you mentioned in your other thread, web site, canilaltodoagave in Blumenau. And to me they looked good. Not only do they work and title their own dogs, they do health checks and seem to have the breed and the breed standard always in mind! The naming issue shouldn't at all be a deciding factor...for me, if I were close, I'd go and see their dogs. When I was living in that area, I don't recall seeing many GSDs around...but their dogs would stand out anywhere!

What is it you're looking for specifically in a contract? Rather than mentioning that to the breeder, I'd ask questions that might specifically illuminate you as to your specific concerns...

A contract, in the end, is only as good as your ability to enforce through the courts...IME Brasillians are more likely to work on honor and trust, than courts. Talk to former clients...before writing them off...they do have good looking dogs that are worked!

I'm not Brasillian, and I have no idea if you are either...but I wouldn't rule out the altodoagave canil based on the naming convention they want (it is specific to each kennel), or due to the lack of a contract. The GSD market in that area is small enough that negative word of mouth would have put them out of business long ago if they didn't keep their customers happy...

Just my 2 cents...

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Look up Maringaland Working Dogs on Facebook. The owner, Mario Gomes, is originally from Brazil and, I believe, still has contacts there. He might be able to help you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Amigo, I looked at the last breeder's, which you mentioned in your other thread, web site, canilaltodoagave in Blumenau. And to me they looked good. Not only do they work and title their own dogs, they do health checks and seem to have the breed and the breed standard always in mind! The naming issue shouldn't at all be a deciding factor...for me, if I were close, I'd go and see their dogs. When I was living in that area, I don't recall seeing many GSDs around...but their dogs would stand out anywhere!

What is it you're looking for specifically in a contract? Rather than mentioning that to the breeder, I'd ask questions that might specifically illuminate you as to your specific concerns...

A contract, in the end, is only as good as your ability to enforce through the courts...IME Brasillians are more likely to work on honor and trust, than courts. Talk to former clients...before writing them off...they do have good looking dogs that are worked!

I'm not Brasillian, and I have no idea if you are either...but I wouldn't rule out the altodoagave canil based on the naming convention they want (it is specific to each kennel), or due to the lack of a contract. The GSD market in that area is small enough that negative word of mouth would have put them out of business long ago if they didn't keep their customers happy...

Just my 2 cents...
Hello! Thank you for your advice. I'm brazilian, yes. The naming protocol isn't a issue right now, what's bothering me is his refusal to sign a contract. I'm not worried about health problems, the thing is, here in Brazil we have something called "pink pedigree" and "blue pedigree". The pink is the best one, with certified parents, litter selected by my country's kennel club, and all. A lot of "breeders" here sell their puppies as pink pedigree puppies but when the pedigree arrives you see it's actually a blue one. A contract would be my guarantee that the breeder isn't lying to me. He has great dogs, yes, they are beautiful and in good health, but I still want a contract.

Actually the GSD market is a big brand here in Brazil. But unfortunately it's full of backyard breeders. I'm not saying Alto do Agave is one of them though. He's a great breeder that just doesn't meet the normal expectations from a buyer's point of view.

Look up Maringaland Working Dogs on Facebook. The owner, Mario Gomes, is originally from Brazil and, I believe, still has contacts there. He might be able to help you.
Hello! Thank you so much for your advice! I will try to get in contact with him asap.

Pete is in Chile if you can import. Very honest and ethical. Nice dogs. I would trust him to match the right puppy for a person.

https://www.facebook.com/Kennelvand..._context_item_source=100009292674456&fref=tag
Hello! Thank you very much for your help! I can import, yes. I really need to find the right puppy as I already have a Golden Retriever so that is a great option!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts