German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally when I get home I take my two boxers and Hawkeye for a walk, we go to the racetrack (that's 5 mins from our place) and they have about 20 to 30 mins of off leash time. Some nights I really don't feel like taking the three of them for some offleash time, but I feel since Hawkeye is still a puppy he needs some exercise (although he does play offleash with the other dogs in our yard).
Is it unfair to take Hawkeye for a walk and not take the other two when most nights they get to come also?
Plus when I take all three there's no obedience training involved for Hawkeye it's strictly their offleash time.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I think all dogs need attention and exercise and you shouldn't be killing yourself taking all 3 every night. Rotate your time with each one. I'm sure they'll each enjoy one-on-one time with you just as much, if not more, than they enjoy the whole group.

·
5,627 Posts
As long as they are each getting the proper exercise, then it's ok. They would each probably really enjoy a solo walk with you once in a while. When you have multiple dogs, it's hard to remember that they need individual attention.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can tell from your post that you are a good dog owner. You actually care about all of your dogs and how they might feel. That is great!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I may get some slack for this but...

I personally believe that if you have a dog, or 3 dogs, that you should be devoting time to each one seperately each day.

Each should be walked, each should get some training time in, and each should get some off leash time in.. alone.

If you want all three of them to play, that should be extra outside of the one-on-one time.

It is especially important for older dogs, seniors, etc. to get just as much excerise, play, training, alone time with you as it is for a new puppy.

This is one of the reasons I only have Stark right now. There is no way I can devote my time to another dog on top of what I give Stark.

When I am done school and have the time to devote ON TOP of Stark's time then I will bring another home.

JMO.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dogs usually don't do things together. They get a short walk together most nights, just 15-20 minutes tops, just to have a "pack" walk. The rest of their outings are usually separate. They have plenty of time to play together at home, but I like to keep them independent of each other, so they usually take turns leaving the house (they both get time every day out of the house).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry, but in my house the new dog does get extra alone time. They need it for bonding and training. Each new dog that comes into my house gets more alone time with me than the others. That is what works best here.

I made a terrible mistake when my Morgan girl was sick of stopping all walks because I couldn't bear to leave her out (I had two other dogs). I look back now and see how unfair that was to the whole group. I'm sure I could have figured out some way to keep her happy when she was home.

It's a pain to walk three dogs at once - I try to spread myself around so that each dog gets his/her own special time. Things aren't always fair.

·
Registered
49 Posts
At the moment i walk Ruby by herself and come back and pick Diego up and go across the paddock in front of our house and walk him around there, he is only 9 Weeks So we dont walk far, and its just to get them walking together.

Usually i do the same as Melgrj7, i take one for a walk come home and pick the other up then come back again and drop the first on off. I got a few suspicious looks walking past my neighbors houses 6 times, must have thought i was casing the joint.

Also at home play is the same one on one then both. That way no one feels left out.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have two dogs and walk both separately. I do this for a myriad of reasons. One, I have a leash-reactive dog. It's too hard to walk two dogs when one has that issue. I need him to focus on only me when passing another dog. It's funny because he's GREAT off leash with other dogs. But on leash? Not so much. He was attacked on leash by two other dogs who jumped their fence and went after him. Yeah, so now I have to deal with this. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Two, I think it's important for bonding. Each dog needs one on one time with me and the dog left behind needs to learn to cope without it's "sibling." Three, it's great training time for us. I can work on any issue that particular dog has. Four, it's more exercise for me. That's always a good thing.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts