German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My oldest pup Beau (will be 2 in April) is eating, sleeping, acting and playing like normal save for he's not brimming with that puppy energy anymore and has turned into a huge snuggler♡ Now on to my question. Hubby and I have noticed that he's losing a lot of weight lately. His ribs are not visible but easily felt with a thin layer of fat, spine is very prominent, and hips are not seen but easily felt...I've checked his stools the last 4 days even picking them apart with sticks and there are no worms or parasites I can see. What do you guys suspect could be happening? My first gsd Wyatt died unexplicably and suddenly at a year and a half years old and I'm having flash backs of that. Wyatt never lost weight like this but I'm terrified of losing my Beau Beau... could I be overreacting and being paranoid because of what happened to my previous dog? Or should I schedule Beau a vet visit this week? If your pup went through something similar, what came of it?(ie diagnosed with xyz, switch to different food etc.) I don't think it's the food I'm giving them(taste of the wild salmon flavor) because the little pup Blitz (1 in late May) is TUUUUUUUBBBYYYY! But all dogs are different... i have consulted with doctor google (?) and I'm getting the typical cancer, heart failure, and renal failure dooms day "diagnosis"...any way enouh of my droning. Please either ease my mind or tell me what happened with your pup going through something similar...I haven't been able to find a topic in here that's similar to mine. Sorry if I put this is the wrong section!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what hubby and I were thinking thank you!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Checking stool condition yourself can be helpful for a number of things, but with parasites some cannot be seen. Hopefully it's something simple the vet can diagnose quickly.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
If the vet visit shows nothing wrong, you may just be facing adolescence with it’s crazy metabolism. I’ve had a few (usually male) adolescent dogs who needed A LOT of food to hold weight. They just sometimes have really high baseline metabolic rates. (If you’ve ever been around human teenage boys you might have seen a similar phenomenon!)

Definitely run a fecal test and consider running blood work, but if it comes back normal...consider increasing the amount of food considerably.

If you are feeding TOTW, it’s made by Diamond. The same plant makes “Diamond Naturals,” which has a food with more calories called “Extreme Athlete” (or something like that). I’ve used it with foster dogs that are hard to keep weight on. It might help him hold weight better if he is a “hard keeper.”

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I would be inclined to suspect parasites first and make an appointment. Loss of energy and weight is a common symptom. Your vet will most likely want a stool sample from Beau and if I were you, I would bring in a sample from Blitz to be tested also. Stools samples can come up negative so testing two samples may have a better chance diagnosing if it is a parasite/worm issue.

I'm sorry about the terrible loss of Wyatt and I know the flashback feeling. My own heart has been residing in my throat lately. Found a lump on my boy and have been flashing back to another who passed from lymphoma. Our vet appt is Weds. Praying it's just a fatty deposit or a lymph node that is dealing with a minor infection that causes no other symptoms.

So stick to the thought that it's probably an easily remedied issue of worms until you see the vet and just enjoy your boy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts