German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’m posting yet again with something that’s been bothering me. Luka was at the vet today and is already a whopping 36 pounds at 14 weeks old (!!!) Everything looks good according to the vet regarding his growth, body size, teeth, ears, etc. However, his left testicle has not dropped yet (we’ve known this since we got him) and is likely to just stay there. For now, it’s not a big deal.

However, because of this, my vet is pushing him to get neutered at 6 months. When we originally spoke during his first visit at 8 weeks, I told her I didn’t want to neuter until 18 months, which she agreed with for a breed of this size (we knew his testicle was still undescended during that first conversation.) However, she seems to have changed her mind now and really wants to neuter at 6 months. I would much rather wait until he’s at least a year and a half just so he gets most of his development done. I have no intention of breeding him. She is scaring me by saying that he has an increased risk of complications and testicular cancer developing the longer we wait.

I really like this vet and respect her opinion, but I want to make sure I’m not being unreasonably stubborn in wanting to wait. At the end of the day, it’s my choice, but I need to know I’m making the right decision. This is my first male dog, and first GSD, so I have no idea, and I’ve seen conflicting things online about the best age to neuter. I’ve received sound advice from many of the members of this forum, and many of you have so much experience with this breed, so I trust what you all have to say regarding this matter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We had a similar experience. Our boy Odin (whose 6 months now) only had one dropped at 8 weeks.

Our vet didn’t let that affect when we should neuter him. Which we personally decided on once he reaches sexual maturity.

I believe both have dropped now. But she did say sometimes it can be later once it does

·
Registered
74 Posts
From the sounds of it you have a good relationship with your vet and therefore I think it would be in your best interest to call her up and find out her line of thought to further your education into the risk and of her experience(s).
It is of my opinion her change of heart is probably after a followup in which she was watching for descent of the testis. However when there was no sign of descent she decided the risk and its treatment (0% risk post orchiectomy) should be expressed to you.

Aside from neutering your pup your options include (1) keep a keen eye on the testis with regular follow ups (increased risk) and (2) another may be orchiopexy in which they surgically bring the testes into the scrotum.

I have only raised female dogs so that is the extent of my experience and knowledge of the subject in canines.
Hopefully you get some more responses with others' experiences to help you make a more informed decision.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
My dog had one retained testicle.. The vet said it is possibly it will come down and never did. He has no health issues or signs we had to neuter earlier so we decided to neuter at two years old. Some people opt to remove Just the retained testicle and do vasectomy. It’s on a indvidual case basis and up to you.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
My boy has a retained testicles. I had an ultrasound done and it's not in his abdomen, it's inguinal. So the vet who did the ultrasound (a boarded reproduction vet) said it's fine to wait until he is 18 mo -2 years to neuter. If it was abdominal then she suggests neutering earlier as the risk of testicular torsion is higher.

Reactions: lhczth
1 - 5 of 5 Posts