German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned a year old and he was 65 pounds last week when I weighed him. 24”-25” at the withers depending on how still I can keep him when I’m trying to measure. I’ve got a friend with an almost identical looking shepherd that’s around 90 pounds and around 4 years old now and he swears he was the same size at this age but I wanted to hear a few more opinions. He just looks like he’s not grown or matured any in months. Still got a lot more of the puppy look than most other dogs I see at his age. Disregard the short hair on the side of his neck. Had to have him partially shaved due to a nasty hot spot about a month ago.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,270 Posts
Looks fine for a 1yr old. Some lines are slow to mature. Also, 65 is more or less an acceptable weight for a male. (heck, I’ve got a 55#er whose 5!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear some reassurance. I’m not trying to build a behemoth of a dog just wanting to make sure I’m not starving him or something.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My puppy is 65lbs-70 lbs and he’s 6 months old and lean..but I’ve learned more about dogs having different lines and body structure so comparisons generally are iffy. You’re guy definitely is mad handsome that’s all I know!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice boy! I felt the same way with Chase when he was that age, and at 2 years he's filled out alot. Your boy is still super young so he will fill out!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Definitely doesn't look underweight to me. Can barely see his ribs and his hips definition is clear. He might be either a late bloomer or just a small male shepherd. Mine is currently 77lb at 11 months. People say they'll fill out and grow in heights but some just stay basically the same.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think 65 lbs for a one year old is just fine. And he will definitely fill out in the coming months. He looks beautiful!!!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
55 Posts
He looks lovely. :)
I greatly prefer a smaller German shepherd dog. IMHO the smaller, compact dogs live a longer, more sound life.

If I were to make a guess, I'd say he'll put on another 15lbs. Eighty pounds for a male is just about perfect as far as I'm concerned.
Good Luck with him!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your pup looks great! My boy is a year and 4 months and is a half pound shy of 70lbs right now, and solid. If I remember correctly he was about 68lbs at a year so I am not sure if he is going to gain all too much more. Try not to get too hung up on weight and size as long as your dog is healthy and happy all is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts