German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a GSD from lovemypup.net a few days ago. Since the puppy has gotten here I've noticed that he seems a bit small. According to charts at 8 weeks he should be about 20 pounds. Actually though, he is 5 lbs. I wouldn't get rid of him even if I was told he isn't purebred but it would be nice to know what I have here. His parents are about according to the breeders his parent weigh about 100 lbs each. I don't think he will ever get that big. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
20lbs for 8 wks sounds like too much to me. I've had 7 gsd's and none (male or female) have weighed that at 8 wks. My females have been around 13 lbs at 8 wks (75lbs grown) and my males around 16lbs at 8 wks (95lbs grown).

I do have a 10 week old that was 7.5 lbs at 8 wks. She did, however, have coccidia and hookworms. She 16.5 lbs today (10wks/2days) so is gaininng nicely since getting rif of the parasites/worms.

Have you had him vet checked. Sometimes it takes more than one fecal check to find coccidia. If he his healthly and has an appetite he will gain.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Welcome cagedit.
lovemypup is a puppy broker, right? Are you sure the parents of the "breeder" were the ones your pup came from?
I would definately get vet check and fecals run.
Get him on a good puppy food so he grows slow and properly, there are many threads on nutrition here to see which ones are better.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your little guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
German Shepherd
My puppy is the one named Rocket down at the bottom. There is also a picture of the parents at the bottom as well.

To answer the question about the legitimate breeders; I don't believe that lovemypup.net is the real breeders but rather sort of like "sub breeders" but I don't have any way of getting more info on the real breeders.

Also, wow. You guys are fast. Wasn't expecting such prompt replies but thanks for everyone that did!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If this place isn't a puppy mill, I don't know what is. I'm glad you love your new pup, but get him to the vet as soon as possible for a check up. Five pounds sounds extremely small and I wasn't impressed with how healthy the puppies looked in their pictures.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Welcome to the forum. He looks small from the pics compared to the other pups. Perhaps he was the runt of the litter?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I wonder how they got sable pups from two black and tans?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum and congrats on your adorable puppy. Oh my gosh, is he cute. I want him!!!

He looks younger than 8 weeks to me. Did they send you paperwork with the breeders information, date of birth, etc?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Mac's mom, the baby came from a miller. They ship out every Monday!!
http://lovemypup.net/index.html
Look at all the different breeds they produce. As far as paperwork goes,
does it really matter? :(

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
oh I looked up www.lovemypups.com. No wonder I was so confused.

I'm curious about the paperwork because Rocket looks younger than 8 weeks to me.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Nothing we can do to stop these "breeders"
Pup is lucky he got a good home from you, please get him checked up ASAP and get him eating some good food to gain some weight. I hope he is a good dog for you with a good temperment.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
by not purchasing pups from them will slow them down...
I agree, hope the pup has good temperament and health. Best wishes for him!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the paperwork that I received with him said that they were going to be sending the info about him being ACA registered in the mail. I have not yet received it though. They sent me another paper to register him myself with another registry but to be honest I don't really know how that works and if these registry's are even considered acceptable to most people.

As far as his size I was wondering if coccidia affects his poop in any way. I will be taking him to the vet ASAP but i was wondering to those whose pups have had coccidi: does this make their poop very soft? For some reason my pups poop comes out like what I would describe as an ice cream machine (sorry for those that might be eating ice cream right now). He also poops about 5-8 times per day and it seems like a good amount. Does this sound to be worms or coccidi?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would be surprised if your pup doesn't have a least one type of parasite and that would give him soft poo. ACA registration is absolutely meaningless. If you live in the states, the only registry that means anything is AKC. You can get your pup ILP registered - they changed the name of it to PALS? now - if you so choose at some later date after he's been neutered, if you want to enter him in any AKC sporting event, but not any conformation class. You can also enter him in UKC events without AKC registration.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes coccida will give them loose stools as will worms. I too will be surprised if he doesn't have something. If the fecal does come out negative be sure and have it checked again in a few days. If the coccidia aren't sluffing off at the time, they won't be in the stool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just so this doesn't ever happen to me again. Do you guys have breeders that you recommend purchasing your puppies through? I didn't realize that I could be taken like this. Simply put, I thought it was just as good as buying from anywhere else. I will get my puppy dewormed and checked by the vet tomorrow if I can make an appointment that early. Now I'm wondering if he's even truly a German Shep or not. Seems like if they can get away with letting the doggies have worms and parasites then they could get away with selling you anything.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You don't even want to know the horrible conditions and disease these puppymill dogs live in and that's why no one should buy from them and perpetuate it. You can get healthier and cheaper puppies from your local shelter. It's also true that you have no idea who the real parents are to your dog or the health of them. But, it's done and you have your little guy.

The next time you want a puppy, do some research first. You will want to really think about what you want in a dog, what you want to do with it, the age you want to get, and be realistc about the amount of time you are willing to devote to training and exercise. After that, ask around for breeder or rescue referrals to get the best and healthiest match for you and your lifestyle.

·
Registered
386 Posts
at 7 weeks, scout was 17.5lbs... vet said he was a perfectly healthy weight...? he hardly has any fat on him, can still see his ribs when he's sleeping and breathing hard. he was eating eagle pack puppy kibble at the breeders and still on it plus TOTW canned food now and then

1 - 20 of 42 Posts