German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Dakota doesn't really have much of an undercoat. In fact, in some place he has NO undercoat(under his arms and such). Is this normal? Is is because its summer? Not a good enough diet? Just that kind of Dog? I see other German shepherds on here with lots of undercoat, and call me crazy but I'm a little jealous. The only place it remotely thick is his hind legs. We have some black hair here or there but nothing like the crazy balls of fur. Sorry I have been asking so many questions lately. I'm just such a worry wart since I got him.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My female has almost no undercoat, she's really smooth, even in the winter. Less shedding, she doesn't "blow coat" like my male does at all.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
yup, several different kinds of coats in the gsd. sounds like you have one with less undercoat. i am jealous of YOU!

·
2,967 Posts
Lots of different coat types from the very close to the long...It's nice to have less undercoat because it means less shedding!!

Also, In Florida, my dogs never really get much of a "winter" coat. It's too hot so they don't build up coat like the dogs from the North. And you might find that when the weather does turn colder, he does get better nutrition now that he's with you, and he gets more mature (my male got more coat after 2yrs...) he might get some more coat.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
My little girl doesn't have much of an undercoat either..makes for an easier groom...the boys on the other hand, have think undercoats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My boys don't have much of an undercoat but then again I've been having to flea comb them 2 times a day. I think I've combed out most of the undercoat lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts