German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.8 year, long coat male GSD has a mild skin allergy due to either food or the environment ........maybe both. I'm waiting for his upcoming appt. to have a scratch test done with his allergist.
Last week he totally blew his coat. He doe not look like the same dog. I am wondering how long does it take for the undercoat to come back?
Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree even the colors are different. My Sting looks blacker in the summer more like his papa, and then come fall when his undercoat grows back in, he resembles his mama. My husky was the same way. My aussie - no, no difference in looks with or without the heavy undercoat. So, it is normal, and your gsd's undercoat which keeps him warm will grow back in fall - depending where you live, that could be as early as the first of September.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
So is the undercoat sparse? Im new to these dogs, my 6 month old lost her puppycoat but im not sure if shes blown a reg coat, I pull rat sized balls of hair off with brushing, not full dogs worth like ive heard.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So is the undercoat sparse? Im new to these dogs, my 6 month old lost her puppycoat but im not sure if shes blown a reg coat, I pull rat sized balls of hair off with brushing, not full dogs worth like ive heard.
A youngster might not blow as much as an adult. Trust me, you will know when you get a full on coat shed, because you'll be at a big box store replacing your vacuum cleaner. Banjo's first blow was pretty mild, the next year he lived up to the name German Shedder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts