German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog turned one year old today. I had him xrayed yesterday because he had stopped using his back right leg the week before. The xrays showed that the femoral head on the right rear leg is under developed and doesn't 'fill' the socket like it should. My vet has me resting the dog for 8 weeks to see if the limp improves. If not, off to the specialty vet clinic for an evaluation. Has anyone experienced this in a dog before. My vet was unfamiliar with this and thinks its possibly a GSD thing.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Not familiar.
Highly recommend go ahead and get an ortho consult. some will look at the X-rays for a fee without seeing your dog ( unless necessary).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sounds kind of like a problem more commonly seen in smaller dogs, especially terriers, called Legg-Calve-Perthes. Legg-Calve-Perthes disease For whatever reason, the blood supply to the femoral head is compromised, and the ball doesn't develop properly. My vet suspects my Rattie has this problem, but we haven't done x-rays to confirm it. I keep him very lean, and keep him on a good quality joint supplement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts