1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated
Two Employees Sent Home

POSTED: 4:37 pm EDT March 28, 2008
[NEWSVINE: Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated] [DELICIOUS: Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated] [DIGG: Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated] [FACEBOOK: Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated] [REDDIT: Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated] [RSS] [PRINT: Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated] [EMAIL: Shelter's Euthanization Of 28 Dogs Investigated]
ANDERSON, Ind. -- A team of four veterinarians will lead a city-run animal shelter while officials investigate the actions of an employee who performed an unscheduled euthanasia of 28 dogs, the mayor said.

Mayor Kris Ockomon said Larry Russell, the senior humane officer who performed the euthanasia, and another shelter employee were sent home on Thursday but had not been fired.

"I don't want to take anyone's job from them unless there's a reason," he said.

The animals were euthanized Wednesday, the day after the operator of a rescue center for pit bulls said at the city's Board of Public Safety meeting that Russell failed to control the population at the Anderson Animal Shelter.

The four veterinarians were recruited to temporarily take over Russell's position.

"We underestimated the condition of the shelter," Ockomon said in a news release. "A seasoned veterinarian group is needed to install standards that simply did not exist before."

A message left for Russell by The Associated Press on Friday was not immediately returned.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't seen an update on this yet. But, I will post updates when they come out.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Oh boy!!! Look forward to the updates.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sadly this is very typical of shelters in this area. Putting to sleep this amount a dogs in one day is not unusual. I have been at the IAC on a day that 96 animals were being destroyed....IN ONE DAY! That is why SPAYING AND NEUTERING is so important. You have to realize that in Anderson there is very little help and financial backing from the current office holders. Shelters are last on the agenda. At this particular shelter for $10 any one can walk in and adopt an unaltered dog thus adding to the already over population problem in a society that ( in the Midwest) lacks the education to turn the situation around. We are attempting to introduce a new "mindset" here in the Indpls. and surrounding areas, showing how a spay and neuter program is the key to stopping the thousands of unwanted pets put to death for lack of space. So instead of being upset at the shelter for making space for the numerous dogs and cats pouring thru their doors daily.....educate people about spaying and neutering and certainly have all personal pets altered.

There is simply not enough pressure being put on government to make changes as well. Most of you would be in utter amazement if you new how little was alotted to the care of shelter animals. I just was informed today about a very nice humane soc in northern IN. whose already tight budget was cut to give money to other areas seemingly more important that the animals in the area. Cut backs and the economy are key reasons why animals are ending up in shelters today.

So make calls to the office holders for more backing to the shelters and rally for tougher spay neuter laws....If people were fined for unaltered pets it could make a difference....who knows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts