German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went hiking this weekend in the Umatilla like we always do, and ran into something that really made me mad: a blue tick coonhound in a blaze orange collar and ecollar left next to a truck parked in the middle of the trail near the parking lot. This dog was off-leash, unattended, and guarding the trail aggressively by circling and growling. Owner nowhere in site. I went to the camp manager's office to let someone know and he claims he can't do anything even if he calls the sheriff's office because that section of the trail is BLM land, not county. Apparently contacting their office gets you nowhere either because it's in another city 1.5 hours away. Is it just me, or is this ridiculous? Seriously, no one can write this guy a ticket for blocking the trail with his truck and his aggressive dog just because it's federal land?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
More than likely the dog took off after something and got beyond the range of his collar. I'm sure his owner is looking for him, but it's not uncommon at all for hounds to follow/trail something and forget all about any slowpoke humans that might have been trying to keep up with him.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More than likely the dog took off after something and got beyond the range of his collar. I'm sure his owner is looking for him, but it's not uncommon at all for hounds to follow/trail something and forget all about any slowpoke humans that might have been trying to keep up with him.
Ah, do you think he got lost and made it back to the truck by himself? That might be it.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Pretty common. They run far and wide. Not a big issue for GSD folks but coonhounds...yeah...

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hunting dogs are trained to return to the truck if they are unable to make a find - or if they get lost. In the event a hunter loses a dog, he will return his vehicle to the point that the turned the dogs loose, hoping the dog will make it's way back.

It could be this was a young dog that was turned out with more experienced dogs. It might of lost the rest of the dogs and made it's way back. Could be it was scared and confused, therefore the aggressiveness towards you.

Or...it could be Billy Jack is out in the woods cooking meth and uses his dog to warn him that someone is near.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Most likely the ecollar on the pip had gps capabilities, more dogs around, and his trail got cold. E collar on a Hound is more or less used for location not correction and haven't met a dog runner just running one do on a hit ever. Probably forked off on a new scent realized he wasn't with the pack and headed for the pickup. Not sure what's available in your area but bear, Mt lion, bobcat, coyote can quickly turn into mile long journeys with no time to make sure all the dogs are on the same page

Howdy from Idaho!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most likely the ecollar on the pip had gps capabilities, more dogs around, and his trail got cold. E collar on a Hound is more or less used for location not correction and haven't met a dog runner just running one do on a hit ever. Probably forked off on a new scent realized he wasn't with the pack and headed for the pickup. Not sure what's available in your area but bear, Mt lion, bobcat, coyote can quickly turn into mile long journeys with no time to make sure all the dogs are on the same page

Howdy from Idaho!
Thanks for the education! I've seen quite a few people head out with rifles so it's possible they were going after big game like that. Not sure what the season is right now. I thought it was illegal to use trailing dogs in Oregon but maybe not on BLM land?

Now it makes sense. This dog was definitely glued to the truck like he was waiting for somebody. I'm glad he most likely wasn't just left there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ya not too sure on the rules and regs in your area. And sometimes it depends on the type of game to be tracked. Just would be my guess since you said he had his collar on, and to me that's the dogs way of knowing it's time to go to work. Good luck in your next walk though, Oregon is a pretty place

Howdy from Idaho!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Years ago my Brittany took off on me up in the mountains, and I honestly thought I would never see him again (he wasn't really the sharpest tool in the shed!). But after screaming his name for two hours, I get back to the car, and he's got a crowd of people fussing over him, giving him water...he's loving it! I am so glad nobody tried to take him home, but he had tags and collar with my cell on it, just no service up there. Same dog, on a mountain bike ride, decides he's had enough, and goes back to the car. Luckily, he found his way back both times! So hopefully, that owner gave up hunting for his dog, and found him back at the car!

PS, Volcano, hilarious!!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
We did have one team dog run a deer once (it was a GSD of all things...) and they looked high and low for hours. The owner laid his coat on the ground and said she would come back the next day if the coyotes didn't get her and find the coat and that is where he found her.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I have a few funny stories like this.

First, my boy Ike and I were doing a training with local Wildlife officials. Big deal. Lots if LEO there. Ike takes off, does not respond to me calling him. I keep going. Running my sectors, doing my sweeps( made them closer together since I had no dog) and a voice comes over the radio " anyone missing a large black GSD? " apparently he caught scent, followed it. Turns out it was horseback SAR people. He stood at the top of the ridge and followed them. Once they " shooed" him back to me, he was back on track.

2nd- a friend was working his HRD dog, off leash with some LEO, dog took off. They called and called. Nothing. Headed back to the truck and there she was, in her crate sleeping.

So yeah. Does not surprise me hunting dog headed back to the truck. It's better than the dogs that show up at my work, intact beagles, with collars on, that obviously left the pack and are left behind. In some twisted hunters mind, If the dog can't stick with the pack, it's not worth looking for.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I think hound hunting any big game like bear and cougar is banned in Oregon. I know it is in Washington and California.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
In Ohio, we have a leash law, but dogs actively hunting are exempted. The owner has to be somewhere with a valid hunting license, but the dogs do not need to be right with him every moment.

I agree that he got back to the truck, and everything should be just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts