German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Jake was a baby he had a friend, she is a black lab the same age......they played together all the time....big buddies!

It has been since October since they have been together, I moved and they are building a house. Life is settling down and we wanted get the pups together and let them have a play date and she and I catch up.....it hit me that maybe that isn't so smart.....they are almost 10 months now, he unaltered, and the lab pup hasn't been spayed yet, they are waiting until her first season which she is on the verge of I assume. Is my train of thought correct, a play date now is a NO NO?? Suri has an inverted vagina and they are hoping after a heat it will fix itself, if not she will need a surgery when they spay her.

My goal is to wait until Jake is much older to neuter....I know this sounds like a silly post, every other dog I have had or been around was fixed....and we don't not go to dog parks so play dates have been the only way for Jake....

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
couldn't you guys just intervene if they start to like each other a little too much? lol

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I think as long as she isn't in heat or close to it it should be ok. You could stop it if they start to get too friendly

·
5,627 Posts
Do what you are comfortable with and be prepared for the consequences.

I don't think I'd personally be comfortable doing it because I know Raven is much faster than I am and I can't be on top of her the whole time they are playing and wouldn't tust that I'd be able to get there quick enough should something happen.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Do what you are comfortable with and be prepared for the consequences.

I don't think I'd personally be comfortable doing it because I know Raven is much faster than I am and I can't be on top of her the whole time they are playing and wouldn't tust that I'd be able to get there quick enough should something happen.
LOL, this is more detail than i really want to know, but how long does it take? i mean, wouldnt you notice rather quickly if one dog has mounted another?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is the same age (almost 10 months) so I assume she is very close to her first heat...and from what I understand it can happen fast....when they were little we never concerned ourselves with it....but a light bulb went off saying I don't think Jake can "play" with her until either of them is altered......

They have always played rough and he is so much bigger then her, she is a very small girl....

I am not comfortable at ALL with any consequences so I guess they can see each other but only for a walk or something...guess I needed to hear it from others.

·
5,627 Posts
LOL, this is more detail than i really want to know, but how long does it take? i mean, wouldnt you notice rather quickly if one dog has mounted another?
I honestly have no idea but I've heard it's quick and once they've gotten together, you could hurt one or both trying to get them apart.

·
2,967 Posts
I honestly have no idea but I've heard it's quick and once they've gotten together, you could hurt one or both trying to get them apart.

While this is true. In my experience you KNOW if your male is interested. They don't usually not look and then all of a sudden sneak over and get it done. There's a lot of deliberate sniffing and licking and then they try to mount.

Obviously when she is in full blown heat I wouldn't do any play dates...And really they shouldn't allow it either.

I can usually tell when my female is getting ready to go into heat or in the first couple of days based on my males behavior. The pee licking gets extreme and they start bugging her a lot more- following around behind less focused on the ball she's carrying and more on her rear end. Although to tell you the truth I don't worry too much on the first couple days and on the tail end because she won't let anyone near her rear until she's ready to go. She gets a little bitchy.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
About 10 seconds, much like electrocuting yourself, by the time you notice, it's too late. LOL
Normally I say birth control is the responsibility of the woman, and other people shouldn't bring their bitches in heat near dogs they don't know (mine)... but in this case, your friends should keep their dog away from yours until they're sure their puppy isn't in heat.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
10 seconds!!!

ok...i'm refraining from the inappropriate comments lol

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Hahaha! Ok, let's put it this way... The order of operations is different for dogs... But there's about a 10 second window to stop the whole thing... After THAT, it's too late ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
While this is true. In my experience you KNOW if your male is interested. They don't usually not look and then all of a sudden sneak over and get it done. There's a lot of deliberate sniffing and licking and then they try to mount.

Obviously when she is in full blown heat I wouldn't do any play dates...And really they shouldn't allow it either.

I can usually tell when my female is getting ready to go into heat or in the first couple of days based on my males behavior. The pee licking gets extreme and they start bugging her a lot more- following around behind less focused on the ball she's carrying and more on her rear end.
All of the above. I was pretty sure Dena was going to go into heat soon when the neighbor's older intact rottie was suddenly extremely interested in sniffing her rear end. She ADORED him, and whenever he was out front when we got home from somewhere with her (he hang out off leash when our neighbor was working in the yard or washing her car - he was a total sweetheart) he'd always wander over to say hi. They'd sniff each other and she'd jump around and play bow at him, which he tolerated graciously. And then one day he was like, "well, HELLO, there!" :wub: Sure enough, within a week, after spending much more time licking herself than usual, we saw the first drops. He never even tried to mount her, he just had his nose glued to her crotch. :wild:

I think if they're sure she's not in heat yet and she and Jake were good buddies it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Also just wanted to mention that it can sometimes take a month or longer before the males are infertile so even if you had him neutered I'd still be careful/watchful if they had any play dates for a while.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
10 SECONDS!! I wish it were that quick. Just did a natural breeding a couple weeks ago. My back is still aching from holding her still so he could get it done. You would know if she was in heat. Lots of foreplay. Just keep both leashed at the first reintroduction. If she seems to be close, you will know. I wouldnt let them have an acre to run around together in, but perhaps a smaller fenced yard, or empty garage.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I wouldn't cancel the play date. I assume that it'll be supervised. I've no doubt you'll be able to tell when they first meet if mother nature kicks in.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
You could always bring a diaper for either. ;)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
No play dates while she is in heat but otherwise I don't see why not? My lab is 8 years young, unaltered, and will not be a guest on Maury who's your daddy;) He has girlfriends who are unaltered, but my friends just say not this month so and so's in heat. It's really not a big deal.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think that they'd be fine. From what I've seen, it's not a super-quick process. They do a lot of play before, sniffing, licking, the female stands around with her tail off to the side, the male mounts, gets off, they run around and play some more, they get the zoomies, etc....
It's not like he's gonna hop on, they lock, then you wait for puppies.

Even when a bitch is in heat, she's not ready to mate the entire time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there less than a week in the entire heat cycle where she'll accept a male? If I had a bitch in heat, I wouldn't let her out on any playdates to stay on the safe side, but I'm just sayin'.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Maiden dog and maiden bitch mating:

THIS IS WHY I SO HATE WHEN PEOPLE LIE ABOUT JUST STEPPING OUTSIDE FOR A FEW SECONDS.

Dog and bitch see each other and they start sniffing each other on the nose and quickly to the nether regions. He will start LICKING her nether regions. She will FLAG her tail, that is hump it up quite a bit. The dog will start to follow the bitch around the room, and attempt to mount her, sometimes he will try mounting her head, and you really wonder whether the poor boy is really bright enough to be a stud.

When he makes it to the proper end, she will most likely sit down. I had a dog that would stand on her tail to get her back in a standing position.

He will try to mount her, she will squeal and he, will often back down. Then he will try again. He will thrust with his parts which will NOT find their mark. He will investigate with his nose and eyes her pieces parts, and do more licking.

IF SHE IS READY, she will stand patiently. Otherwise, she may try to nip him or drive him away.

Sometimes the crazy boy will run around proving how strong and agile he is to the love of his life. He comes back and tries again.

Tail is flagging, Dog is on top of her.

THERE IS NO WAY TO MISTAKE THIS FOR WHAT IT IS. Too dogs do not just hook up at the dog park UNLESS their owners WANT for it to happen.

All of this happens IF and ONLY IF the bitch is READY to be mated. Usually, big drops of dark red blood are everywhere long before the bitch is ready to mated, days maybe 9 or 10 days before. Other bitches are ready sooner, but owners KNOW their bitch is in heat.

When you first come over, the dog is not going to just sniff around and pee on a few choice spots. He is going to LICK THE GROUND!

Too many OOPS litters are really litters where the owners thought it would be real cool to have a litter of puppies and ALLOWED it to happen. Then they realized that they did not know a thing about having puppies so they come on the internet and quickly realize they will get a better reception if they say it was not planned.

Take your puppy over to the bitch and have a play date. Joy was nearly a year old when she had her first cycle. Other bitches come in later than that. Let the puppies run and play together. Keep an eyeball on them. You will have PLENTY of time to go forward and remove your puppy if there is a need.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts