German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post picture of my dog on facebook and my breeder (who is my in laws relative) saw his picture of one ear still down. He called me and ask me if that ear has ever been up. He asked many questions. Before this I wasn't worried about his ear since he is only 12 weeks. But now I'm a little worried. Is he late to get his ear up?? His right ear has been up and never went down for two weeks now. But his left ear is still look like it has no chance of coming up. He said if his ear doesn't come up in 3 weeks I need to call him and said that we don't need a shepherd with floppy ear @[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Seriously? I'm hoping that statement from the breeder appalled you and you would not consider returning a dog because of a floppy ear.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whoa NO! I know he put it in contract too that if ears don't go up at 4.5 months we can return him but I have no interest in doing that. He's my son. I just wanna know if he is late and when should I start helping him out with the ears

·
Registered
31,709 Posts
lol...he's just checking in with you. If it doesn't go up in a few weeks, he's probably going to advise you to tape it. Call your breeder back and ask.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My puppy's ears started standing at 4-4.5 months. His right ear was the first to stand fully, and a couple weeks ago the left started standing, and he is now 5 months old. There is nothing wrong with your puppy. Try giving him a Nylabone to chew on, they do help. I'm not going to comment on the breeder and what I think of him.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I know many shepherds who's ears did not fully stand up until they were 1 year =)

·
Registered
754 Posts
He's still young. Give him until the teething process is almost done before you tape and glue. Keep him chewing! He's a handsome fella!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
He's cute...I think I like the floppy ear:)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ears

My Zeus had both ears up for a week when he was three months old then the left ear deflated.

My wife freaked out.

I tole her to sit tight until after he was six months old and done with teething before getting concerned.

About 5 mos. old floppy lefty started standing up more and more each day. Now, at about 5.5, you'd never know there was a problem.

Heck, I don't think there was a problem. The wife did a bit, though.

LF

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Linck, a pup's expression resonates with me more than whether the ears are up or down. An expression ia a prime indicator of whether the pup/dog is confident or unsure, courageous or fearful, friendly, aloof or hostile, focused & engaged or distractable, alert or or sluggish. Some qualities must be seen in person but others can shine out even in pix. He looks confident, alert & happy...just a thoroughly engaging guy.

Again, the ears will probably come up, but it's the other stuff that really counts. When I was choosing my pup he was the only one in a litter of 8 with his ears still down. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had to remind myself that regardless of those darned ears, he was the one that most appealed to me. (His breeder thought he was my best match, too). His ears came up ~4 mos, but if they hadn't he was absolutely a terrific choice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
His ears are up!

@llombardo
He's cute...I think I like the floppy ear
Thank you!

@GusGus
He's still young. Give him until the teething process is almost done before you tape and glue. Keep him chewing! He's a handsome fella!
Thank you! I will keep him chewing :D

@Lucky Dog
His ear will come up !!!! Pretty dog !!
Thank you! Hopefully this is permanent!

@RubyTuesday
Linck, a pup's expression resonates with me more than whether the ears are up or down. An expression ia a prime indicator of whether the pup/dog is confident or unsure, courageous or fearful, friendly, aloof or hostile, focused & engaged or distractable, alert or or sluggish. Some qualities must be seen in person but others can shine out even in pix. He looks confident, alert & happy...just a thoroughly engaging guy.
Thank you! Lincoln is my first dog. I still have a hard time reading his body language let alone expression. I'm glad to hear your review :)

@Longfisher

Ears
My Zeus had both ears up for a week when he was three months old then the left ear deflated.

My wife freaked out.

I tole her to sit tight until after he was six months old and done with teething before getting concerned.

About 5 mos. old floppy lefty started standing up more and more each day. Now, at about 5.5, you'd never know there was a problem.

Heck, I don't think there was a problem. The wife did a bit, though.
That makes sense. I'm one of "the wife" though :p

LF

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
He's a cutie. I must stop looking at puppy threads..before I go out and buy one when I can afford a second.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well my pup hers went up at 9 weeks and never went back down, but my cusions didnt go up till 7 months old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts