German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi L , our boy has a umbilical hernia as well. As far as I know they are not hereditary , has something to do with the mom when she cleans them we new born, pulls a little too hard. ( just what I have been told, not a expert on it) Back to our guy, he is 11 months old and has the hernia and we know he has to have surgery on it, but we wanted to wait until we get him neutered ( at 1 year but trying for 18 months) as we don't want him sedated twice. The vet said it is fine to wait, just keep an eye on it, as long as it feels soft to the touch it is okay. If it feels hard, get into the vet right away. NOW this is our experience and if someone here has better advice all is good :)

·
Super Moderator
8,487 Posts

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
191 Posts
No I didnt. I asked if it would grow back after being fixed. Ive heard mixed things, some saying it comes back. Even the vets office didnt give me a straight answer. They said it could be hereditary, maybe not.
Ah, I see, well from my experience, they don't come back, I'd just ask your vet

·
Registered
174 Posts
As other have mentioned, no it is not hereditary. I know 2 pets that had them removed and they have yet to come back so it doesn't seem very likely. It is also very common, if your vet is unsure I would probably suggest reaching out to another vet who's had more experience with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts