German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a blue and tan german shepherd puppy and I noticed she has a small umbilical hernia. When fixed by the vet, will it come back?

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Your vet may advice you to spay her at the same time to avoid a second surgery if the hernia needs to be closed surgically. For the future some unsolicited advice: best to have her go through one heat for her health. Good luck with your puppy,

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If it is small, then don't worry about it. Push it in and gently massage the opening, multiple times a day, until the opening closes, usually around 6 months or so. There's no need for a surgery to fix it unless it is large and intestines are pushing out. If small, it's usually just a blob of fatty tissue. They can live fine with the fatty tissue hernia. Surgery would only be for cosmetic reasons, not medically necessary. When she's 18 months or older and you get her spayed, they can fix it then, if you want.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Our last two dogs have had this. The vet told us just to keep an eye on the hernias and there was never a problem with either dog.

Please make sure there is a good reason for surgery, something that will affect the health of the dog and not his just having a blemish.

Congratulations on your new puppy. We always like to see pictures, hint, hint.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When we purchased our puppy, our breeder pointed out the umbilical cord site, saying the lump was not necessarily a hernia, but soft, fatty tissue. In her experience with her litters, none had actually had an umbilical hernia. She gave the same instructions as @mnm (post #4). It was already gone by the time we picked her up and the subsequent vet wellness check.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Max has a small hernia it look like a small knob of fat I joke and say rub it for good luck. The vet told us to rub when a pup it may pop back in but no change. The vet felt best to leave it and there is no issues with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts