German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our guy, Xano, has finally arrived!! Things are going great, he seems to be adjusting beautifully...but I'm finding tufts of fur everywhere. I expected shedding (I spent a lot of time reading strings on this forum so I was warned!) but I didn't expect there to be little tufts or chunks of hair falling out. Is that normal? Or is he having some kind of nervous reaction to his new home so tufts of fur (vs just individual strands of fur) are falling out?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
GSD's shed 365 days 24/7.
Whenever I sweep my kitchen floor I look at Brady and ask him how he possibly still has fur on him.
Nothing to worry about

·
Registered
501 Posts
when we first got beamer her crate looked like it was fur lined. don't worry about it =) it happens!

·
Registered
932 Posts
all my dogs (3 shepherds and 1 siberian) have the chunks of fur coming out when they blow their coat for summer or winter other than that it is just normal shed

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
oh ya, this time of yr I can PULL big tufts of fur out. Hes used to it lol kind of looks like cotton balls on him!!
Hes losing his nice winter coat. I just vacuumed this AM. It was EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
yep, normal. DH laughs at me because I've been sitting on the floor in the evenings "plucking" dogs...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I can relate, as much as I sweep DH still complains that we cant eat a meal without dog hair in it.

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
I am actually celebrating not having to sweep a couple times a day. Maxi was born at the end of Nov so he never really got his proper winter coat, so he is not shedding it!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Originally Posted By: maxismomI am actually celebrating not having to sweep a couple times a day. Maxi was born at the end of Nov so he never really got his proper winter coat, so he is not shedding it!

Ditto for me with Jesse one year from now will be different.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I keep reading about everyones GSD shedding like crazy but that hasn't happened with Chevy...is having a December birthday the reason?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
dog hair in food that is just an added bonus!!! YUM
j/k if you have a GSD you get use to having hair in food, all over clothes, I pluck the gobs of hair out of Brady too.
Niki Chevy will have this shedding thing just a matter of time!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep -- we call it popcorn butt or bubble butt -- all of the tufts of hair seem to start on the hips.

I brushed ours out this past weekend in the backyard -- it looked like a raging snowstorm. And when I was all finished, they dogs looked the same, but the tufts of fur coming out again!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
It's coat blowing time, Dante's undercoat is coming out in tufts.

Undercoat rake daily and it'll be over soon!

Birds around here like it when Dante blows his coat in the spring!!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: chevysmomI keep reading about everyones GSD shedding like crazy but that hasn't happened with Chevy...is having a December birthday the reason?
I don't think you've gotten there yet, even though Chevy probably has his adult coat. Wait until next year

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 7 month old sheds too but not in chunks for now. And I also have a black cat with long hair...now you can imagine both fur mix together..sheesh...thank god for the electric battery swifter vacums (green)... I have to pass this everyday in the house..what a great invention!!

also I once a while I mix extra virgin olive oil with his food...fantastic for a coat...now to have to cat eat that...thats another story

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL!! Thank you to all!
I've been combing him twice a day and so much hair comes off I wondered how in the world does he have any hair left??? Where is it all coming from??

EVOO in the food. I will try that!

=)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know if Topcoat is normal to shed in the spring? I get very little or no soft undercoat but the coarse top coat comes off in handfulls, and the slicker doesn't do a thing for it.....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I don't know what brand of food you're feeding, but we fed my previous GSD Iams and he shed like CRAZY! We feed Apollo Origin and he barely sheds at all. Could be coincidence, but I think it has to do with the quality of the food.

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
A pup of five months has no old coat to shed, they are just getting the adult coat in! I agree with the diet/shedding. Mine are raw fed, and they really never got a thick winter coat, so there aren't the tufts to pluck on them. Coats look very healthy and very little shedding on either one. Onyx was born Nov.06 and has yet to "blow" her coat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts