German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My breeder had an ultrasound done and they only found 3 pups. She said it isn't always accurate however I would like to know what your personal experience is and the accuracy of the ultrasound is with your previous litters if you don't mind.

·
Super Moderator
5,633 Posts
Only had one litter, and the ultrasound showed four puppies. Our vet said there might be more, but could only see four. Carly had five.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I never had experience myself but also heard many times with xray or ultrasound there maybe an extra pup or two. I guess can be missed if they are laying on top of each other.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Did one on this litter. Saw 6 on ultrasound, had 5 (and that showed on x-ray). Was glad I did x-ray to confirm number. Sometimes they don't develop and get reabsorbed.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It can be very hit or miss. On Kira's ultrasound, the vet saw 5-6 puppies.She ended up having 11 (although not all of them survived). With my JRT's (litters of 3-4) the US has always been off by one.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
My bitch's first litter the vet said 4-6 on ultrasound. She had 9 (which were all visible in x ray)

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
The ultra sound was pretty accurate for my older female (Anja) -think they said 7-8 and she had 8-she had 8 in each litter

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Depending on when the ultrasound was done, a bitch who loses a pup they can resorb it, so it won't pass, but it won't be there either. If it is important to get an accurate count, than an x-ray during the last week of pregnancy is probably a better bet. And even then, they can hide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts