German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else watched this new show on A&E? It’s sort of like American ninja warrior for dogs and I personally found it very entertaining. They have four K9 teams and then one civilian. You can watch it for free on their website if you don’t have A&E!

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Called AMERICA'S TOP DOG - Wednesday nite on A&E

I loved it!
Melted my heart when the officer carried his K9 thru the water when the GSD didn't want to jump in!!
The Border Collie/civilian team (unfortunately) showed up the K9 teams for speed and agility in 1 event! LOL
Also interesting that the guys didn't see the indication when the dogs were hitting on "their scent"! My hubby and I were yelling at the TV.....oh My GOSH ....LOOK....they are SHOWING you!!!! LOL
Great show!

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
I'll have to check it out.Sounds like fun!I haven't watched TV for years except for a few things on Netflix or Hulu occasionally that I stumble upon.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s really awesome! Some very smart and talented dogs. Falco is my definition of an ultimate Belgian Malinois. Dax would’ve won if he had a better out. What got me is that many of the K9 handlers had to go over the jumps with the dogs, that’s basic agility training.

·
Super Moderator
32,125 Posts
Also interesting that the guys didn't see the indication when the dogs were hitting on "their scent"! My hubby and I were yelling at the TV.....oh My GOSH ....LOOK....they are SHOWING you!!!! LOL
We were doing the same thing! The guy was just standing there while his dog was clearly indicating and it cost him so much time.

·
Super Moderator
32,125 Posts
I was surprised that several of the dogs didn't want to jump in the water or weren't very good swimmers, and also that the handlers couldn't send just send them over the walls. The BC lost time on the cars, but overall did extremely well compared to the professionals.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree 100% @Cassidy’s Mom, you would think a police K9 would be able to be shown directions and be familiar with water and swimming. I haven’t even entered my first agility trial yet and my dog knows how to lead out and navigate obstacles following my directions, it seems like it would be very useful to teach and also fairly simple?

·
Registered
954 Posts
The k-9 that would not go into the water was either not trained thoroughly or was a poor selection for a police dog. There are some good K9 handlers, but there are also many that are not.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I found the most interesting part was how the dogs reacted to their owners who seemed frazzled and made mistakes because they were being timed. Some things, like the dog choosing the obviously easier path, would have been the better choice out in the field. Finding the right object that was scented would have been better if the human wasn't thinking about the clock.
I don't yell at t.v. sports but I was cheering on the teams in this show.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it's really cool how they have a civilian team to add another layer of competition, plus it'll help keep it from being all shepherds. Nothing against shepherds obviously, it's just cool to see different breeds competing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven’t really watched much of it, but this has got to be my favorite part. If you’ve watched it then you’ll understand-

It’s his snack...

·
Super Moderator
32,125 Posts
Cava loves this show!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
^^^^ Awww cutie Cava!

What an exciting episode last night! Found myself yelling AUS and FOOS at the tv lol. Josie was staring at me with a head tilt looking confused. 😄 Next week it looks like there will be 5 competitors, fun fun!

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Me, too. I was amazed at how well the underdog did the first round. I was really hoping he'd do better in the boneyard. At the end I was yelling at the screen..."come on, if you give us a clean OUT you can win!" WOOT

1 - 20 of 30 Posts