German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does my dog have to be registered with the UKC to receive titles? For example...coming up next month he is entered in a few dock diving competitions.. I am taking him 3 days to the dock dogs event and then the Ultimate Air Dogs event on July 4. If he earns....5 legs? toward a title and gets it, does it not count because he is only AKC registered? Same with lure coursing and what not. Are the UAD and Dock Dogs titles the same?

And how exactly do these legs toward titles work? I am confused by the UKC :help: If he jumps five jumps that meet one of the division requirements, he gets the title?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
This is a common point of confusing. To play UAD a dog does not need *any* registration (lots of rescues and mixes do it). However, they will send titles to the UKC if you want them on a UKC pedigree, in which case the dog needs to be UKC registered and you provide that number when you enter. I actually have UKC registerd dogs but don't really care. I tend to register them as puppies so I'm not going to go back and buy their pedigrees again just to see the title on it. Regardless, the jumps *always* count towards UAD titles. Each season resets though, so you have to earn the five jumps in one season. Like if you earned 3 this summer and then waited until next summer you'd start at 0. But once you earn the title you earn it.

Dock Dogs and Splash Dogs are two additional dock diving organizations so their titles are different. I've only done UAD.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah okay, thanks for clarifying this for me. So even if he was registered with the UKC, his title wouldnt show on his AKC pedigree, correct? If he isnt registered with the UKC, he can still earn his title but it just wont be on any pedigree? I think I got it now. And oh, I didnt know all those organizations were different. It seems like they have similar 'titles'. So, if I sign my dog up for 3 different days, and he jumps twice each day, he has the chance to earn his title? Correct? Sorry just trying to make sure I understand all this! I have been so confused by it haha. Thank you Lies.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes. Actually with UAD he will get two jumps per splash (often back to back) and they will count the better of the two. So 3 splashes = 6 jumps.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ah okay, thanks for clarifying this for me. So even if he was registered with the UKC, his title wouldnt show on his AKC pedigree, correct? If he isnt registered with the UKC, he can still earn his title but it just wont be on any pedigree? I think I got it now. And oh, I didnt know all those organizations were different. It seems like they have similar 'titles'. So, if I sign my dog up for 3 different days, and he jumps twice each day, he has the chance to earn his title? Correct? Sorry just trying to make sure I understand all this! I have been so confused by it haha. Thank you Lies.
It looks like if you only want to get dock diving titles from UAD, then no, you don't need to register him with the UKC. However, if you want to be awarded a title from the UKC, he must be registered with the UKC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts