German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For someone who is completely new to Conformation, which Kennel Club will be most new handler friendly? I hear UKC is the most owner-handler friendly...just want to check with you seasoned pros.

Also, if someone gets the time, would you mind looking over Willow in the Critique section of the board and tell me how you think she would do in UKC (assuming that the above is correct)?

I want us to just go have fun, but it'd be nice if we had a shot at winning! LOL

Thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
UKC conformation shows do not allow pro handlers - and yes, from all accounts they are more laid back and fun. There is minimal grooming allowed, as it seems the purpose is to judge the dog, not the handler or the groomer. You should still do a nice presentation of your dog, however.
I would recommend UKC as not only a place to start, but a nice registry overall. There is alot to do within UKC.

I'll look at the pictures you posted - but I'd say enter, have fun, and enjoy your dog!

Christine

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree. Its hard to handle your own Shepherd in AKC and get anywhere, especially if you are new to conformation in general.
Some people can do it and do it well, but it comes with alot of politics and whos who, like everything else.
Although, I have met some super nice, friendly and helpful people in AKC. It helps to have a really nice dog, then you can get "accepted" easier. IMO.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I've heard that when you start you puppy, and at the lower levels, owner handled dogs (with some handler tips and classes prior to the trial) can do well in AKC.

It's when the dog gets older and it's more competitive that the professional handler helps. Their additional knowledge of what dogs live where (the competition!) and what type of dog a certain judge prefers can make a big difference.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: AngelaMOFor someone who is completely new to Conformation, which Kennel Club will be most new handler friendly? I hear UKC is the most owner-handler friendly...just want to check with you seasoned pros.

I am NOT a "seasoned pro" but I found that the UKC shows are very owner/handler oriented (no pro handlers). The shows are relaxed, the people are usually willing to help a newcomer, answer questions, etc. When I was showing Slider, complete strangers took him in the ring for me and he did well regardless of who was holding the lead.

AKC conformation titles mean more to most people, but if that doesn't upset you, I highly recommend that you show with UKC.

And as an extra bonus, at UKC shows you see breeds of dogs not found in AKC sanctioned shows - in some ways UKC shows are very similar to rare breed shows like ARBA.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Quote:Is'nt that sad... the standard kinda gos out the window if the judge dosnt like the coat color or the dogs type.........

Some Sables have a tough time, and that is a dominent gene, meaning it should show up more had it not been bred out....
Judges are people first. And each person has their own interpretation of the standard. And personal preferences. And
often dogs are not places for some reason other than the obvious.

I was judging a match and in walked this beautiful sable bitch. I was in LOVE! That is, until she started to gait around the ring. She had a dip in her back. So I put up a different dog. And the handler came out of the ring muttering about the stupid judge that didn't like sables! I stopped him before he got too far away and explained to him that I likes sables, and that his bitch was very nice, except for the dip in her back -- and I am very picky on backs because of my working dog background. Her loss had nothing to do with her coat color.

That said, there are those judges, especially in the all-breed ring, that prefer a German Shepherd Dog to be black and tan. It is your job to know who they are.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have always been told, if you dont like/ understand the judges decision, if you see their not busy, ask them about the decision. Sometimes it's completely different than you think.

I have had 1 class that I thought our not being placed was coat color... and we have been beat by ALOT of black and tans. I noticed that the judge never once looked at Camo in the line up or while they were going around the ring. I did not ask b/c I was having a pissy moment LOL!

·
Registered
932 Posts
ukc shows is the way to start out first to see if you like handling and once you get good and want to try akc then go for it but at small shows first, the bigger the show the more politics there is in akc. I do both and I owner/handle mine right now i do more ukc than akc but still do both every year. the main thing is if you don't have fun then don't do it, you have to enjoy it plus if conformation isn't the way to go ukc does other things as well

·
Registered
815 Posts
I wish we had some UKC shows close to us, it sounds as if they are a good way for people to get introduced to the sport of conformation and have a pleasant experience.
AKC shows can be hard on some people, unfortunately.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah, I went to the UKC website and saw the Hickory one. Really not too far away, about 2 1/2 hours from our place. That's do-able for next time.
Can't wait for this weekend!!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Interesting thread...
been wondering why there isn't more about UKC everywhere online.

USA doesn't allow UKC dogs because it isn't FCI...but I just figured that out over the weekend.

Does anyone else care to express any commentary on UKC ?
There is so little about it anywhere, if you have any experience,
or opinions, please share!

·
Registered
541 Posts
There's just not enough advertisement.
And there aren't enough shows. I can go to at least five AKC shows within 45 minutes of my house, and 15-20 all breed and specialty shows within two hours drive.

I haven't found a single UKC show in Ohio. I would gladly go if there were more shows.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just posted about SDA in the "Schutzhund 1936" thread in the Schutzhund section. SDA is Service Dogs of America, and the titles are the working sport for UKC (ie. UKC Dog Sport is "SDA.") These protection titles are recognized in UKC pedigrees. I posted about what you can expect in some of the protection titles.

I see you're in Michigan - there will be SDA events in Michigan, and of course Premier has conformation, Dog Sport, and everything else UKC...Where are you? Some of these might be in easy driving distance.

Christine

1 - 20 of 38 Posts