German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to full article:
Dog-owner prevented from finding microchipped pet under Data Protection Act - Telegraph

UK Man Prevented From Finding Chipped Pet Under Data Protection Act

Dave Moorhouse was elated when he was informed that a microchip provider had information on the whereabouts of his stolen dog. This joy soon faded when the company informed him that it could not divulge the Jack Russell terrier's location because it would breach the Data Protection Act. Last week a court agreed with the chip company and refused Mr Moorhouse's request for a court order compelling them to reveal the name and address of the new owners. Steven Wildridge, managing director of the chip company said: “This is not a choice, it’s an obligation under the Data Protection Act. If the individuals involved do not want us to pass on their details to the original owner then we cannot do so unless compelled to following a criminal or civil proceeding."

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
That's ridiculous! I can understand not divulging information from one party to another (just because someone owns the microchip, doesn't mean they own the dog) but the police should get involved to help sort it out... Is this not why we have police? I know a lot of people couldn't care less about a stolen dog, I could care less about someone smoking a joint in their basement... Yet police get involved in that...
If someone steals a $200 car, they could face life in prison if it's their third offence but someone demented enough to steal a family member, authorities look the other way.
...leave me to "sort out" the ownership of my dogs myself and you bet the police will suddenly be interested ;)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Ditto!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would be beond PO'D. And out for blood if that was me and one of my babys :angryfire: what's jus not right in any way shape or form :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
What's the point of chipping if the chip company won't help you get your dog back? Am I missing something? I would find someone in the chip company with access to the info, bribe, and take care of it myself.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
What's the point of chipping if the chip company won't help you get your dog back? Am I missing something? I would find someone in the chip company with access to the info, bribe, and take care of it myself.

i completely agree. We chip out pets to get them back if they go missing. Why waste the money if its useless to do so?! I'm ticked off just reading about that!!! I didnt read the article but does anyone know the chip company? Get enough people ticked off about it, it would probably change policy pretty darn fast!!! Someone steals my dog, you better believe i'll find them one way or another.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i completely agree. We chip out pets to get them back if they go missing. Why waste the money if its useless to do so?! I'm ticked off just reading about that!!! I didnt read the article but does anyone know the chip company? Get enough people ticked off about it, it would probably change policy pretty darn fast!!! Someone steals my dog, you better believe i'll find them one way or another.
It's those crazy Brits... No guns, cameras on every corner, and apparently legislation that protects dog thieves.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ditto all responses! what a load of nonsense! what i dont get is, even if they have this stupid law why cant the authorities get involved and bring this dog back to the owner without having to reveal the 'mysterious whereabouts ' of the THEIF or not to judge ,but of the 'finder keeper' person. surely the police once havin determined whose dog it really is etc can make arrangements for it to be delivered back to the owner who obviously wants it back! But wait! its just a mutt right? why all the effort and money?:rolleyes:

this is sad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This man did not report his dog as stolen to the police,if it was my dog this is the first thing i would have done.The company are quite right not give the address to this man, who know's what the real circumstances in this case are.Maybe an ex partner who felt the dog was better off with her.At least he is in a good home and not left on a lead in the garden.The data protection act is not such a bad thing.Linzi

·
Registered
604 Posts
This man did not report his dog as stolen to the police,if it was my dog this is the first thing i would have done.The company are quite right not give the address to this man, who know's what the real circumstances in this case are.Maybe an ex partner who felt the dog was better off with her.At least he is in a good home and not left on a lead in the garden.The data protection act is not such a bad thing.Linzi
I agree. I don't think the microchip company is at fault here. They have no idea who is the rightful owner. The original owner who had the dog chipped could have sold the dog and never told the company. Unless the original owner actually wins legal right to the dog in court and can prove it to the microchip company, they are just protecting who has possession of the dog right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dog went missing a few times.i have never reported to the police for a few reasons:
1.their normal answer is: it's just a dog
i know that from experience of my parents when they tried.
2.Why should i do a crazy lot of paperwork when i can use that time to try to find the dog.
3.Police won't put it in the emergency just if the dog gets to the local pound,they won't do anything if the dog gets out of the jurisdiction of the local police or if it gets in another town,the other towns police won't have it as a case,and a real stupid thing is that in this country in pounds the dogs aren't controlled if they are tatooed or have a microchip because of that,many missing dogs get killed in the pounds.(here the police jurisdiction is the Town in which is stationed and 5 km outside)

And btw,who says that he isn't on a lead in a garden,who says it isn't mistreated?
Yes,they have all returned.Because i found them or they returned by themselves.

About the marriage disputes i agree.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
You don't have to say it's an "emergency" or even have the police rush out to your house. Stolen property is never an emergency, but the police will come out and write a report. Even if it is a couple days later. It doesn't take time, less than 5 minutes of your time. That way, you have proof that you are missing a dog matching a certain description.
Sure, I wouldn't do it immediately unless I have reason to actually believe the dog was stolen and not just lost. But after 24 hours?? Heck yeah I'd be calling them. The local pound and the humane society and the local radio station and newspapers are at the top of the list. Home Again also sends out "lost pet" emails. I've gotten one or two. If you sign up, you get emails anytime a chipped pet in your area is reported missing to the company.

If that is the reason that the company refused, then I agree completely that the company was in the right.

·
Registered
386 Posts
got to remember this happened in the UK... their laws may be a little bit different then the US... like someone said, if someone steals a cheap car they get massive jail time... but im sure the SPCA might step in to help you out since they are a form of police

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I work in the Information Technology arena and deal with the data protection & privacy laws very frequently. Legal mumbo-jumbo as it may sound, it is enforced for a very valid reason. The original owner should have nevertheless followed protocol and filed a police report. We don't know the complete circumstances behind this story and I bet there's a lot more than what was printed in the media. Eitherways, he should take this matter with the original chip company to track and get his pet back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts