German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Penny finished basic OB class and we had our first advanced OB class last Sunday and today I am sure we are going to have difficulties from here on out....

Todays lesson is fetching a training dumbbell over a 2ft. jump! Ok so heres the thing, I have been trying to get Penny to fetch, well anything since I got her and have really focused on using the dumbbell over the last two weeks so that by the time we got to this lesson we would be good to go. But she has ABSOLUTELY NO interest in fetching this dumbbell she looks at me like Ive got 10 heads or something Ive tried engaging her to play with it and running around with it, Heck I even put it in my mouth to show her what to do! (yes lame I know but monkey see monkey do lol ) And ya no, still nothing, So I dont know how Im to train her to do this!

Second is I cant even get her to jump up on the couch or get in the car or even jump over logs while hiking! How am I suppose to get her over this 2ft jump?!? I will also state that there is no treat use in classes or we are encouraged to not use treats at home for training.

Any Ideas how I can get my pup to have interest in the dumbbell, also fetching would be a plus (maybe some advice on building ball drive){she has great prey drive she chases the tail thinggy at the end of the flirt pole like mad but any other type of drive, forget it}
Also need some advice on how I can get my pup over this jump!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will also mention, I do cheat at home and use treats sometimes to keep her focus.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Retrieve over a high jump needs to be broken into many small pieces before you can expect her to do the whole chain (go over the jump, pick up the dumbbell, back over the jump carrying the dumbbell to you).

So you'd start teaching the jump separately and very low. I'd start at 12" and see what she does. If she jumps it well, great! If she's hesitant drop it to 8". If she starts walking over it consistently, up it a little. Straddle it and toss treats back and forth, encouraging her to jump it to get them. You'll stay at this height for weeks, getting her excited and confident. Once she's eager to go back and forth over the jump with you straddling it, stand beside it and do the same thing. Then try running by with her encouraging her to jump. Work her off of both sides, you to the right and left for both of these exercises. Then go to setting a high value treat on the other side (at least 10' away) of the jump and restraining her, getting her revved up and releasing her to get it. Once she does, turn and run away. Reward her if she takes the jump running back to you. Once you have all of these things, you can very gradually start raising the jump height. Ideally you can go 2" at a time but no more than 4" and stay on each higher height working the restrain/chase exercise for a couple weeks each. If she starts to have trouble at a height lower it to her last successful height for awhile. Jumping isn't just about teaching a cue especially at higher heights, it's about body awareness, fitness, conditioning and confidence.

The retrieve you'll teach separately too. Here is a detailed explanation of how to teach it: Keepers - Shirley's Retieve

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sometimes think our trainer is asking to much of us. And I know because there are no treats involved (at least not in class) that her think will be just to pull her leash and MAKE her go over it and then praise her like crazy (which I know isnt going to work only reason I went back to this trainer is because I like SOME of the training methods and I just cheat and use treats at home but use the technique that is used in class, which has worked well for Penny and me (although it kinda sucks when she loses focus I cant really reward her for refocusing in class because she doesnt care for physical or verbal praise so once she loses focus its hard to get it back) But I will work with her using this method starting today before class and set up a little jump in my backyard. Thanks for the input AgileGSD

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Maybe this is a silly question, but if she loves chasing the tail on the flirt pole: why not attach the dumbbell to a rope and swing it around, making it come to life.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe this is a silly question, but if she loves chasing the tail on the flirt pole: why not attach the dumbbell to a rope and swing it around, making it come to life.

Never thought to do that lol Ill give it a shot!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't know why you can't use treats to refocus her in class? I love using play and praise as a reward, but not all dogs will work for that, especially initially. It's your class, so I'd use my time as I'd wish. Take what you want from her technique, but apply it to your dog in a way that would work for you. I love the pp suggestion to put the dumbbell on the flirt pole. Much better than dragging her by the leash IMO. I love my trainer, but not all her techniques worked for me. She'd offer alternatives that might work to try and I used trial and error to see what worked. whats her reasoning for no treats? If the dog will work for treats but not praise, can you use them then phase therm out?

·
Super Moderator
32,367 Posts
I will also state that there is no treat use in classes or we are encouraged to not use treats at home for training.
Sorry, but this is just dumb. If your dog will work for food, you should use food. If your dog is very motivated by just praise alone, great, but most dogs are not, and as you said, Penny isn't either. An instructor that refuses to let you use a reward that's motivating for your dog and insists that you use something else that your dog does not find particularly motivating is not that great a trainer, IMO.

Any Ideas how I can get my pup to have interest in the dumbbell, also fetching would be a plus (maybe some advice on building ball drive){she has great prey drive she chases the tail thinggy at the end of the flirt pole like mad but any other type of drive, forget it}
Also need some advice on how I can get my pup over this jump!
This is interesting too - why isn't the instructor giving you ideas about how to train retrieves and jumps? A good trainer won't just give you a lesson plan of what you're supposed to train each week, they're supposed to show you HOW!

I sometimes think our trainer is asking to much of us.
She is definitely asking too much. :) AgileGSD is right, each of those behaviors needs to be broken down into much smaller pieces and trained separately. Your trainer should have explained this, and gone over what those steps are, and how to progress through them. Generally, backchaining is very effective - you start at the end of the behavior and work backwards. For a retrieve you wouldn't just throw the object and expect your dog to go get it and bring it back, you'd start by handing it to her, having her hold it for a few seconds, and then give it back to you. Until that's solid, there's no point in even trying to throw it.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
How old is she? Should she even be jumping 2ft?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
She is 6 months
I'm thinking that she she shouldn't be jumping that high yet..My dog was about a year and they wouldn't allow it. She was at like maybe 8 inches or so I want to say. You might want to research that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh my goodness. Don't have her do 2' jumps at that age. We're doing puppy agility and they had us walking through the jumps with the bar on the ground to teach it. Now that we've put the bar up, it's still quite low (6-8"). Don't damage the joints by jumping 2' at that age.

Not to mention, did they train walking through the jumps, going over lower jumps? Getting out away from you? I can't imagine trying to teach a 2' jump and retrieve at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts