German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is the right place to post it but it is a story so i think i'm good.

Took Riley with me to turn in my work uniform and pick up my final check earlier tonight. We were coming back into housing and the guard at the shack asked to check my ID against the temp pass we have on the van until the state plate comes in. I cant get a permanent pass without the plate so they check often to make sure i'm who is supposed to be driving the vehicle and all that jazz.

Well Riley is a our vehicle protector. Makes sense but this dog REALLY seems to like the van. Normally he'll just bark and grumble and leave it at that because thats generally enough for people to KNOW he's there and act accordingly. I also ask the MPs to say hi so he'll chill out and its never been a problem before. The guy tonight was really cool and had no problem saying hi to Riley. Riley did good for about a minute. Tail was wagging and he was the happy friendly dog he tends to be. Then all of the sudden he lets out this fierce growl that just rumbles the whole van. The MP yanks his hand back and Riley is trying to get out of the car through the window just barking and growling and generally being the kind of dog that can seriously get us in trouble lol. The MP didnt take it personal. He recognized Riley as a GSD (mix) and had no problems with backing off. Had it been another MP (i can think of a couple who are pretty uptight and just generally like making life difficult for people because they hate their jobs).

Riley has NEVER acted like that before! Not to someone he was introduced to. I mean he's been protective and territorial when we lived out in town and kept having problems with people breaking into our shed and a couple times trying to get into the house when they thought it was just me and the kids home (only our next door neighbor knew we had dogs and our rental company) but he has NEVER EVER acted that way with someone he's supposed to be okay with. its just so unlike him.

I take Riley with me whenever i go out at night in the car with the intent to go through an ATM because besides that 80lb frame of his, i know he'll let me know when someone is outside the car that shouldnt be. He growls and if they get too close, he starts barking but tonight with him suddenly being protective.... thats soooooo massively unlike him. Makes me wonder about that MP.... Riley is the dog who would welcome the mass murderer into the house if it meant a belly rub for him. So yeah.... i'm a little weirded out.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Uh. That is weird. And you never know about people. GSDs are master body language readers. Maybe he sensed the guy was scared, or something worse? I don't trust anybody. I have run into too many weirdos in my life so far to put faith into ANYONE I don't know. So who knows??

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh. That is weird. And you never know about people. GSDs are master body language readers. Maybe he sensed the guy was scared, or something worse? I don't trust anybody. I have run into too many weirdos in my life so far to put faith into ANYONE I don't know. So who knows??

see thats what has me curious about his reaction though. I dont trust anyone either. My husband trusts readily and easily and i think he's insane for it. He's been let down too many times but he still is one of the most trusting guys you'll ever meet and i dont trust anyone as far as i can throw them unless they've earned my trust. We never did much socializing with Riley when we adopted him as a puppy when he was 5 months old. He's now 6 years old. We seriously slacked in the socializing department but he is a pretty well rounded dog and friendly as can be. I mean Riley is my first dog that i've been allowed to keep longer than a couple weeks. So my dog knowledge to the point of ownership wasnt exactly full up there and my husband.... well.... he doesnt care one way or another if the dog is trained or not as long as he doesnt have to do anything because love on them. I knew dogs were generally friendly if raised right and had some training. Riley has never acted that way before directly at someone so i'm a bit freaked by it. The guy was nice and he had to pass a background check for the military to hire him as a rent-a-cop MP but Riley's reaction to him.... its strange. I wonder if it was more to do with Riley protecting the new car which he adores BTW (weirdo loves the van lol) or if there really was something off about the guy. Or maybe he just smelled a dog he didnt like? Who knows but its got me concerned because i live in a community where these guys are supposed to help keep us safe. Not that i honestly feel safe here with all the incidents that have happened but still!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree! He was trying to keep him away from his momma :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so confused... was the guy a Rent-a-Cop or a MP?

Security clearances only mean a person has no record, not that a person is a good person. Riley is probably a better judge of charactor than what amounts to a really lengthy questionnaire.

He's a hired MP. Basically meaning he is a rent-a-cop but prior military hence rent-a-cop MP. Least thats what we call them. I dont know of a single rent-a-cop who works on this base that is not prior military. I think thats actually a requirement to get the job. least it was when they implemented the program a couple years ago. Considering the creepy across the street from us and the numerous issues the base has had with Brig Rigs (Guys doing Brig time) getting out and away from their "handler" and vehicle checks being done heading off base looking for the escaped Brig Rigs, i wouldnt be surprised if he passed his background check but is still not a good guy. Its just really weird that Riley reacted that way. i mean had Zena still been here and i'd taken her with me and she reacted that way... well thats typical for Zena. She's not a fan of males approaching the car/me good or bad. Riley has never done anything like that directly towards someone.

·
Registered
169 Posts
He may have smelled something on the MP? Another dog, or some smell that he didn't like. Just a thought.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He may have smelled something on the MP? Another dog, or some smell that he didn't like. Just a thought.

see thats kinda what i'm guessing as thats just so unlike Riley! If the guy is at the gate in the morning or tomorrow night i'll have to ask him if he has a dog. Then i'll have to ask what KIND of dog. If the guy says Saint Bernard.... well i'll know the issue right off with that one. He's not a k9 handler on the base so thats out. If they're not handlers they're not even allowed to touch the dogs. I'm just scratching my head over this. Hubby is a little concerned about it as well. He wants to take Riley out to see if he does it again or if it was just with me he acted that way.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It varies from base to base. The program is only as good as the Provost Martial. I've seen it work really well, and I've seen it fail utterly.
here i personally think they should have just stuck with the standard MPs. We never had issues with Brig Rigs getting away from handlers until the program started in 2008. Who knows really though. I know at Peterson AFB back home in Colorado, the rent-a-cops do a great job. but here.... well not so much. Came back to housing a couple weeks ago with a friend after a midnight run to walmart for soda and chips and the guard was ASLEEP in the shack. Yup....i feel REAL safe here. i was safer out in town where the local PD said if we ever had an issue again with people breaking into our shed or trying to get into the house, just turn the dogs loose. Here... well on base.... i'm sure you know how a growly dog would be viewed.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so for once my husband is concerned with the dogs behavior. lol. He wants me to schedule a vet appointment for Riley in the next week before we head home for a break. I basically told him he's nuts. Riley is acting like his normal self as soon as we pulled away from the rent-a-cop MP he didnt like very much. yes i'm still concerned over his reaction to the guy but i'm honestly not going to pay for a vet visit when he's perfectly fine and normal the second we pulled away from whatever threat he percieved! Least now i definitely know though that Riley will still let me know whats what at least some of the time. I think what bugs me most is he normally just growls and grumbles while watching out a window but tonight he wanted to be right in the guys face. already told hubby, that if he couldnt get his leave approved (which he did!) before i was supposed to drive home, there was no chance i was driving 2000 miles just me and the kids. the dogs are going with me. They'll let me know something is up and wake me up if needed. So Riley has earned some of my trust back in his protective skills but him wanting to be in the guys face growling..... yeah makes a person wonder about that guy...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Makes me think of the guy I saw on the CBS news tonight: Who is Jared Lee Loughner, the Alleged Assassin - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Ok Im stretching it, but he didn't have a record either and they sold him a gun. There's always a first time someone gets caught! So you never know what your pup was reacting to really....

wow..... thats just.... wow. yeah stretching it but you just never know about some people. I'm sure that guy was relatively normal until some triggered him like Gifford not answering his question.... wow.

·
Registered
512 Posts
here i personally think they should have just stuck with the standard MPs. We never had issues with Brig Rigs getting away from handlers until the program started in 2008. Who knows really though. I know at Peterson AFB back home in Colorado, the rent-a-cops do a great job. but here.... well not so much. Came back to housing a couple weeks ago with a friend after a midnight run to walmart for soda and chips and the guard was ASLEEP in the shack. Yup....i feel REAL safe here. i was safer out in town where the local PD said if we ever had an issue again with people breaking into our shed or trying to get into the house, just turn the dogs loose. Here... well on base.... i'm sure you know how a growly dog would be viewed.
The MP Corps is just flat-out stretched too thin.
The focus has switched from our Law and Order mission to Combat, and the Corps has always been small to begin with.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The MP Corps is just flat-out stretched too thin.
The focus has switched from our Law and Order mission to Combat, and the Corps has always been small to begin with.

i'll have to take your word for it. I'm a navy wife stuck at a marine base as my first taste of military wifedom lol. I know before the rent-a-cop program, the standard MPs, nothing got past them. But this base isnt exactly popular. One of the first things we were told when we got here is this is where they send either the fresh out of bootcamp guys who need a good kick in the butt or they send the guys from other bases who got in trouble with a few of us non trouble makers mixed in to try and even out the crazy ones from the semi normal ones. I can tell you one thing.... i'm anxious to experience a navy base! My cousin is a marine in california but these guys..... these guy are out of their minds so i dont think i should be totally surprised with all the issues last year and already starting this year. I'm just glad we're out of here this summer. Wasnt the recruiting stations trying to bring in more interest to joining as an MP not too long ago?

·
Registered
512 Posts
MP recruiting has always been tough.
While theoretically you only need a confidential clearance [it is processed as Secret], the clearance isn't the only measure you need to meet. Something as simple as a speeding ticket might not prevent a Secret clearance, but it could stop you from being a MP.

On top of that, you need a 98 ST score on the ASVAB, and last I checked, it was difficult for GED applicants to gain access to the MPs.

Frankly, you have to be a somewhat odd person to want to be the most hated and despised member of your branch of service. The Enlisted half of the Military resents the Officer half, but the entire Military resents the MPs.

A lot of people with aspirations for civilian Law Enforcement tend to shy away from the MPs as well, as for years it was considered a DISadvantage to hiring. My understanding is that as the MP Corps has evolved, it isn't being held against applicants anymore, but there was some bad blood there for many years.

The MP Corps has definitely changed since I joined, and I can honestly say, I was not sad to leave. Lowering standards to attract applicants has hurt the Military in general, but it's most obvious in the MP Corps. It has suffered.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Trust your dog.....they know what's up! Especially if they're a "good" dog normally. For whatever reason, the dog sensed something and alerted/reacted to it. No one got hurt and if the MP was a little off or considering something, he probably won't consider with you again.
I'm a retired deputy and former K9 handler. I can't tell you how many time I picked up on stuff just because of how my partner reacted, especially since we spent so much time together and you really learn to read your dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MP recruiting has always been tough.
While theoretically you only need a confidential clearance [it is processed as Secret], the clearance isn't the only measure you need to meet. Something as simple as a speeding ticket might not prevent a Secret clearance, but it could stop you from being a MP.

On top of that, you need a 98 ST score on the ASVAB, and last I checked, it was difficult for GED applicants to gain access to the MPs.

Frankly, you have to be a somewhat odd person to want to be the most hated and despised member of your branch of service. The Enlisted half of the Military resents the Officer half, but the entire Military resents the MPs.

A lot of people with aspirations for civilian Law Enforcement tend to shy away from the MPs as well, as for years it was considered a DISadvantage to hiring. My understanding is that as the MP Corps has evolved, it isn't being held against applicants anymore, but there was some bad blood there for many years.

The MP Corps has definitely changed since I joined, and I can honestly say, I was not sad to leave. Lowering standards to attract applicants has hurt the Military in general, but it's most obvious in the MP Corps. It has suffered.

hmm good to know. One of our friends, who is actually marrying my best friend in a month (hence the trip home to colorado!!!) had aspirations to join a PD back home in Colorado but after applying and not being accepted a couple times despite meeting the requirements, he joined the Air Force as an MP. He's a great guy and i'm sure if he was at our base, he'd be one of the few MPs who would be pretty cool (theres a couple here but they're due to PCS around when we do). I personally think he's nuts for going the MP route but he does want to get into the K9 program. Thats his ultimate goal. It was to just get the experience so when he got out of the military he could pretty much walk onto any PD force back home but he's not thinking about going career military. Guess we'll see. I simply wouldnt join because i dont do well with people telling me what to do. I do better being the stay at home mom. Hubby has the patience to deal with being given orders and such.

BTW, thank you for your service!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts