German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on the lookout for a female German shep pup. As close to 8-16 weeks as we could get.

Been looking for awhile with no luck. I don't care about AKC. To me, they just part of the family. Hence why breeders no good to me. I can't see spending more than a couple hundred for a pet. If a job dog, yes. But someone to slobber all over me. Be by my side through good an bad. An always there to talk to.

Also because we have cats, and they don't take well to big animals. A pup their size, an they can get used to the new addition as they grow.

And I prefer to adopt from someone who had an accident litter, or anything other than a backyard breeder. Though I would still get from a byb because I know I am in a position to take on responsibility such as a dog. Dunno if next person if I pass up, is In the same position..

But for $500 for a pup out of 7???? That's all profit. :cry:

Oh well.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
oh yeah that is definitely profit. I paid $150 for Shasta. She was an accidental litter result. plus the cost of gas to get there to pick her up so total $190. If i'm spending more than $200 on a pup, i'm going to a breeder who's done health testing and such on the parents and has proof of it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Arlo was an accident litter too. $200 for him plus $15 in gas.

His parents were on site, so I got to see his future look which helped a lot. An today he is a great looking dog. Everywhere we go, compliments, even from other gsd owners. Had a few ask me if I was going to breed him lol I'll pass on that..

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Yeah Arlo was an accident litter too. $200 for him plus $15 in gas.

His parents were on site, so I got to see his future look which helped a lot. An today he is a great looking dog. Everywhere we go, compliments, even from other gsd owners. Had a few ask me if I was going to breed him lol I'll pass on that..

yeah i got to meet Shasta's parents. Her mom was kind of a washed out sable and her dad was a monster GSD from germany. He had gorgeous black and red pigment and he was just massive! I havent seen a shepherd his size in a very long time. He was just HUGE. i couldnt believe it when we pulled up how big he was. Size of a small horse.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i got to meet Shasta's parents. Her mom was kind of a washed out sable and her dad was a monster GSD from germany. He had gorgeous black and red pigment and he was just massive! I havent seen a shepherd his size in a very long time. He was just HUGE. i couldnt believe it when we pulled up how big he was. Size of a small horse.
Nice! I heard the term "king shepherds"? Apparently 90-150 lbs range. Mine is 90 at 9 months now.

Glad you got to see Shastas parents too. Really puts you at ease to see the blood of the family. Puppys are cute when young but they change like humans lol.

Was this in co?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Nice! I heard the term "king shepherds"? Apparently 90-150 lbs range. Mine is 90 at 9 months now.

Glad you got to see Shastas parents too. Really puts you at ease to see the blood of the family. Puppys are cute when young but they change like humans lol.

Was this in co?

Yeah Shasta's dad was 100lbs after being put on a diet. Any smaller than that he would have been underweight. And i agree its nice to be able to see the parents. Nope, not in CO. This was here in NC. I wish it had been in CO but i dont see too many litters in CO that arent from breeder. Had a neighbor in CO for a couple years who had a king shepherd. That dog was monsterous! He was a 170lbs and he was in good body condition. He was so sweet but seriously not a dog people approached willingly unless they already knew him!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What's the difference between an accidental litter and a BYB? And I've seen some oops litters where the parents were siblings...definitely want to see the pedigree if that's the case.

Why not adopt a puppy from a rescue or a shelter?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I definitely would never pay for a byb accidental litter. Taking one for free is acceptable, but buying one is just encouraging them.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
What's the difference between an accidental litter and a BYB? And I've seen some oops litters where the parents were siblings...definitely want to see the pedigree if that's the case.

lol i would consider an accidental litter as one where the dogs were kept seperate and somehow, they managed to be romeo and juliet. In Shasta's case, her parents were kept seperate. Owners had to go out of town for a family emergency pretty quickly and asked friends to take care of the dogs, continuing to keep them seperate. Shasta's dad chewed through a wall and a couch to get to her mom while between house/petsitter visits. And considering the size of Shasta's dad, i dont think much would have stopped a very determined male of his size. a BYB is someone i would consider who refuses to alter their dogs and has litter after litter (like the people down the street from me and their beagles) and doesnt do any health testing, and just keeps letting the dogs go for every heat cycle for the money they can get from the litter. But everyone has a different definition. The $150 i paid for Shasta covered the costs for puppy shots and mom's vet care and checkups while she was pregnant and food cost for caring for mom's increased food needs and the puppies. Beyond that they may have made about $20-$40 to keep.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
People like you are the reason BYB's exist. People like you who don't care about AKC, health testing, guarantees, breeder support, and all that other good stuff you most likely will never get from a BYB are the reason they exist and continue to breed.

If you don't want to spend the money from a responsible breeder, which is completely understandable, why not just go through a rescue or shelter? There are new dogs posted everyday in the urgent and non urgent section, but you're still looking for that bargain pup from someone selling their litter off CL? Why?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If the pups are born, they are going somewhere.. Either in my care or who knows where.

I have no problem with a shelter. Just none to be found in my area

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I definitely would never pay for a byb accidental litter. Taking one for free is acceptable, but buying one is just encouraging them.
to each their own. I understand your opinion. Shasta's mom was altered a couple days after the puppies were weaned. She still had the shaved belly and some stitching when i met her.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
But for $500 for a pup out of 7???? That's all profit. :cry:

Oh well.

Even $5.00 for an oops pup is all profit. They haven't spent a penny on the parents beyond what they would normally for their pet, so it is all greed. If they want me to do them the favor of taking on the lifelong responsibility of one of their oops pups, be magnanimous and give the pup away for free and be glad someone else is happy to do it. I know of quite a few who had almost an entire litter still living with them a year later.
Then that oops pup, becomes an oops parent, and so on and so on...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If the pups are born, they are going somewhere.. Either in my care or who knows where.

I have no problem with a shelter. Just none to be found in my area
Yeah, well, if they are born and no one buys from them, they most likely won't continue to breed their dogs either. Good thing there's always someone looking for a bargain, so they do continue to breed. Hopefully your bargain doesn't turn into a health or temperament disaster.

·
Registered
98 Posts
First of all, the word you are looking for in most of your OP is "AND" meaning, additionally. Second of all, your signature says you live in Denver, and I don't for a SECOND believe there are no shelters in your area. Get off your ass, do some research and get a dog the responsible way instead of looking for the easy way out with some idiot who decided to let their (not health or temperament-tested) dogs have puppies.

/Rant.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
There are many dogs listed on this forum that desperately need homes...some are very young, good with cats & other dogs. I have also seen females with new born puppies.
I'll bet, if you contact some in your State or surrounding areas...there will be a dog, fitting your criteria.
Take a look...it definitely would be worth the effort.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Both Riley and Zena were adopted from the Pikes Peak Humane Society. My mom sent me a picture message of a 7 year old female GSD at the humane society who is available for adoption tomorrow. I would go get her if i was in CO. Shasta was my accidental litter pup or BYB pup for those who wish to go that route. Shelby is my rescued from an abusive rescuer dog. I fully intend on getting my working line male from a breeder in the next few years. i dont know what Shelters are in Denver though as just driving in Denver kinda scares me some lol. I cant really judge as my dogs come from a variety of situations. i say search where you're comfy looking. You can get a good companion anywhere.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Just want to reiterate. If you buy from these people who sell puppies on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks out of non-tested, non-titled parents, you are not only setting yourself up for a higher chance of health and temperament problems than if you had gone to a good breeder, you are also DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTING to pet overpopulation with your hard-earned dollars. Specifically you are supporting the kinds of people who produce the huge majority of the purebred dogs that end up dead in shelters.

I like you Adam, but I really wish you'd spend some time in your local shelter before you make this decision. I don't think you fully realize what a poison backyard breeders are. Hope I wasn't too unclear on this.

Edited to add: This year I personally have pulled 6 purebred GSDs under the age of 1.5 years out of animal shelters. The 2 rescues I work with have pulled nearly 50. That's just the ones under 2 years or so. They're out there; you just have to look and not very hard.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

snowcapped is a good rescue and GSRCC has a sister branch i believe in california as well. Unless i'm thinking of the other GSD rescue based out of castle rock.

Emoore, if i lived in Texas, i would definitely be adopting one of those shepherds! I'm not a fan of Texas but i always see some of the nicest shepherds down there in rescues and shelters.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts