German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shasta has a little bit of demodectic mange above and below her right eye. We saw the vet last Friday and the gave us Goodwinol ointment and told us that the mange would likely get worse before it got better.

Of course it looked worse on leaving the vet, as they'd done a scraping, which removed even more of her fur, but it's still looking a little worse every day. So my questions for those who have experience with mange...Is this Goodwinol ointment effective? Is it common for it mange to get worse before it starts to get better? If so, how long until we see improvement?

Thanks!

·
2,967 Posts
In my experience the ointment is pretty useless. The vet I used to see said that it almost always clears up on it's own and he didn't see much point in the ointment. They would either get better all by themselves or they would end up needing more drastic treatment. Usually when they pop up with those small spots of "puppy" mange it's usually because their immune system is stressed. ANd yes I would say it's not unusual for it to get a little worse before their immune system steps up and clears it out.

I would give my dogs Vitamin C and some sardines and they always cleared up on their own.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience the ointment is pretty useless. The vet I used to see said that it almost always clears up on it's own and he didn't see much point in the ointment. They would either get better all by themselves or they would end up needing more drastic treatment. Usually when they pop up with those small spots of "puppy" mange it's usually because their immune system is stressed. ANd yes I would say it's not unusual for it to get a little worse before their immune system steps up and clears it out.

I would give my dogs Vitamin C and some sardines and they always cleared up on their own.
I think the vet thought it was fairly useless, too, but she didn't want to give anything else because the spots are so close to Shasta's eye. I've been giving Vitamin C and fish oil. I might try adding some echinacea.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Uschi had it too, our vet gave her an oral liquid- a low dose of Ivermectin for 90 days. Worked great, cost me about $60 for the whole course of treatment. Boosting her immune system will help

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uschi had it too, our vet gave her an oral liquid- a low dose of Ivermectin for 90 days. Worked great, cost me about $60 for the whole course of treatment. Boosting her immune system will help
Did Uschi have just a little bit? I don't know that I'd feel right giving a drug for 90 days for just two little spots of mange.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody had a little spot on his face as well. He gave us the ointment and told us to wash it with this follicle shampoo daily. It ended up clearing up after a week or so!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 9month old pup has it now..She has a small spot on her muzzle and then a small one on her back leg/ankle area. I used goodwinol first but then the vet told me to start with Promeris which I did yesterday. The vet says it will clear it up but im still yet to see

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, she had a very large area on her back ankle, probably a quarter of her leg.
Shasta's is probably an inch square. It's hard to tell exactly because it's above and below her eye. If it doesn't clear up, we'll go back to the vet and ask for plan B.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 9month old pup has it now..She has a small spot on her muzzle and then a small one on her back leg/ankle area. I used goodwinol first but then the vet told me to start with Promeris which I did yesterday. The vet says it will clear it up but im still yet to see
Is the Promeris topical or internal?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mia had a spot on her front right foreleg about the size of a dime when she was 4 months old. My vet gave me goodwinol and told me to keep the area clean. She said she only found 1 mite from the scraping. Told me to keep an eye out for any other spots and if she got more than three, we would do Ivermectrin. After about 10 days of applying goodwinol, the spot went away. Took her back to the vet for a checkup two weeks later and my vet said she had localized Demodex and that it was proabably caused by the stress of teething. If it had been generalized, we would have had to do the Ivermectrin. After you start using goodwinol, it will look worse before it gets better. Just have to be vigilant about applying it. I would have to apply it to Mia's leg and then play ball with her for about half an hour to keep her mind off of the strange stuff on her leg and wanting to lick it off.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The majority of cases of demodex clear up with no treatment at all. I wouldn't do ivermectin and certainly not dip unless it was the last resort. IME these treatments often seem to make the situation worse.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The majority of cases of demodex clear up with no treatment at all. I wouldn't do ivermectin and certainly not dip unless it was the last resort. IME these treatments often seem to make the situation worse.
Heh. I suppose a dip wouldn't do any good for a spot by her eye anyway...they don't dunk their heads, do they? It's hard to just wait and see. My poor pretty puppy looks, well, mangy. :(

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rafi had two cases of mange. It was more widespread than your dog's mange. There is a stick on it in the Holistic Health section.

The thing that worked the absolute best was NEEM oil. It cleared everything up quickly and the fur grew back too. I also put him on several immune boosting supplements, including vitamin C.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rafi had two cases of mange. It was more widespread than your dog's mange. There is a stick on it in the Holistic Health section.

The thing that worked the absolute best was NEEM oil. It cleared everything up quickly and the fur grew back too. I also put him on several immune boosting supplements, including vitamin C.
When you say quickly, how long are you talking?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
NEEM oil is also supposed to work as a flea and a fly repellent. Hope Shasta's mange spot clears up quick! poor pup has been through enough with the staph infections!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NEEM oil is also supposed to work as a flea and a fly repellent. Hope Shasta's mange spot clears up quick! poor pup has been through enough with the staph infections!
I know, right? And she's so good and patient with I'm messing with her. I just want her to be all better.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I know, right? And she's so good and patient with I'm messing with her. I just want her to be all better.

least she's patient with you! My Shasta is a bucking bronco puppy for most everything these days!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
least she's patient with you! My Shasta is a bucking bronco puppy for most everything these days!
Bucking bronco, lol!

My Shasta has her moments...you should see her put her ears down and back away from me if she sees me with the ear cleaning stuff in my hand. But once we get started, she's pretty good. Same with the eye ointment. I should get a video.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Bucking bronco, lol!

My Shasta has her moments...you should see her put her ears down and back away from me if she sees me with the ear cleaning stuff in my hand. But once we get started, she's pretty good. Same with the eye ointment. I should get a video.

OMG i would LOVE to see that! ears back and backing away! haha!!! thats just a hilarious mental picture.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts