German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Lara is what I call 'the vacuum cleaner' outside. I am constantly pulling things out of her mouth. Trash, dirt, sticks, etc.

So we went to the vet earlier this week because she had bad diarrhea and they instructed me to put her on a bland diet and said eating all the weird things was probably upsetting her stomach.

The day after she conveniently comes up with vaginitis too.

Now today I wake up to the sound of her vomiting in her crate, and what do I find? broken woodchips and, my god, part of a gum tree ball (this isn't my picture, I don't know how big the one she got was because when I saw her munching yesterday I went to pop open her mouth and boom, gone):

She didn't do her morning poop today and now I'm really freaked out...
I am always outside with her, she's always on leash, never allowed free exploring, but she literally licks up things and swallows them in one go so sometimes it's impossible to pull things out of her mouth :[ The eating of random things has dramatically increased for the 2 days that she's been on this 'rice and boiled chicken only' diet because it makes her hungry.

Do you think she's okay? I felt her tummy and she didn't act uncomfortable and I didn't feel anything hard or lumpy. I really think the other half of the ball might be in her stomach, will those spikes tear up her tract, or do you think she will just very uncomfortably poop this out?

·
Super Moderator
32,333 Posts
Egads, I don't have any experience with those things, you might want to call your vet. Dena used to eat (and poop out!) rocks, and Halo still eats everything under the sun, but she's always fine. Just yesterday she was pooping out bits of sponge that she apparently stole out of the sink. Again. Where my husband left it. Again. :rolleyes:

If her tummy is soft rather than hard, she's not still vomiting, and her stool is normal, she's probably okay, but the spikiness of that thing would concern me. When Dena was in her rock phase we were a little freaked out about an obstruction so I asked the vet what to watch out for, and he mentioned the tummy thing and the vomiting, and that if she either stopped pooping or had diarrhea, we should bring her in for an x-ray.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sounds like my puppy =( we want to rename him Hoover or Dirt Devil

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah unfortunately she still hasn't pooped, but she's acting fine :/ I hope she poops soon.l gah!

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 9 week old is doing this too! Eating pine cones, bark, sticks, sand and anything else he can snatch up! Does anyone have suggestions for how to prevent this- I can barely take him off leash in the yard and he gets too many leash corrections for eating stuff.

There must be a better way for me to deal with this! :eek:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm this close to muzzling mine.
I decided today to not let her in our yard anymore, I took her for a walk where there was a large sidewalk so she wasn't by any dirt, wood, sticks, etc. I think i'm going to just do that for a few weeks. :/

·
Registered
68 Posts
I need to take my boy outside a lot to tire him out so he won't scream in his crate! I'm trying to get him to play ball instead of constantly scavenging, but it's super frustrating. :crazy:

Wonder when this garbage disposal stage ends?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wanted to update this that after a few more hours of playing and a good nap, she had a MASSIVE, well-formed poop outside and there were no more weird sticks and pieces of that spiky ball, I guess it all came out with that puke this morning :)

I hope the garbage disposal stage ends soon too Slade, I HEARD some dogs go through it until they're done with teething, and some don't outgrow it

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
This might sound silly, but are you feeding her enough? Is hunger a possible reason she wants to eat EVERYTHING?

Just a thought...I hope this stage ends soon for you as well. I'm lucky I never had that problem with Zeeva as a puppy...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, this massive increase in eating was because the vet told me 2 cups of rice a day for three days since she upset her stomach earlier in the week and had a diarrhea-fest, and she ate all this after the first day. I was like, that is not enough for her, so I gave her 3 cups of rice and then a whole chicken breast and some carrots yesterday because she was starving.

It's possible that on a typical day I'm not feeding her enough, but she gets 3 cups of food that has 430 kcal per cup, so roughly 1200 calories. I went by the weight on the bag and how thin she looked/feeling ribs, but I may try upping it another half cup or so because that's a definite possibility!

Here's her food, I also considered the possibility that she's 'missing' some nutrient, but it seems like a well balanced food. My gsd book listed all the particular amino acids etc that dogs need and it contained every one on the list:

Deboned chicken, chicken meal, green peas, turkey meal, chicken liver oil, field beans, red lentils, whole potato, deboned turkey, whole egg, deboned walleye, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, chicken liver, herring oil, whole apples, whole pears, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach greens, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary.

Crude protein (min.) 31%
Crude fat (min.) 17%
Crude fiber (max.) 5%
Moisture (max.) 10%
Calcium (min.) 1.3%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.1%
Calcium: Phosphorus Ratio 1.3:1
Omega-6 (min.)
LA (min.) 2.5%
2.0%
Omega 3 (min.)
EPA (min.)
DHA (min.) 0.6%
0.15%
0.3%
Omega 6:Omega 3 ratio 4:1
Glucosamine (min.) 700 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate (min.) 1500 mg/kg

I called Champion and asked feeding for a puppy because the bag is adult, and they told me 1.5 times the amount on the bag for pups between 3-6 months
she's 33 lbs, so according to bag: 22lbs - 1.33 cups, 44lbs - 2.25 cups, right in the middle - 1.8 cups, and if I do the 1.5x that thats about 2.7 cups and I already feed her 3. I know the bag is guesstimate, so I guess I may even need more..Hmm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just wanted to update this that after a few more hours of playing and a good nap, she had a MASSIVE, well-formed poop outside and there were no more weird sticks and pieces of that spiky ball, I guess it all came out with that puke this morning :)

I hope the garbage disposal stage ends soon too Slade, I HEARD some dogs go through it until they're done with teething, and some don't outgrow it
Hooray for a nice big poop! :) Isn't it funny how glad we are to see that?! I sue hope my boy outgrows it or I will go insane! :eek:

And I have tried feeding my pup more food because he always acts ravenous, but his stools get really loose if I increase the food too much.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I am also thinking of a muzzle but feel to bad to actually do it. Right after eating a cup of dog food t (leaves some in the bowl so he can't be hungry) Dex goes right out into the yard and eats sticks leaves, grass, poop, concrete, glass, grass seed, paper, clothes off the clothes line, wood fence, my flowers and anything else he can get to before I can snatch it up. Most of my yard is now temporary fenced off
with rope and stakes and he tries to eat those too. Were always holding our breath until he poops and then I've never been so happy to see a dog poop in my entire life. Dex is going to give me an ulcer. :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well let me say that Tess is still eating everything in site and she just turned 8 months old. I'm still wondering when it's going to stop myself.

Great- no end in sight! :crazy: :(

Someone told me to trade a piece of food for every object and pretty soon the dog is willing to bring the debris to you for a treat exchange! Worth trying.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts