German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the puppy to the vet for a checkup for her ear - gotta get the rabies done as well (first shot was only a year).

not 3 minutes after the shot, she collapses on the floor, gets up, vomits

$140 worth of injections later she is fine :mad: - not happy! I had always been teetering on the "minimum vaccines as possible" bandwagon, but I sure am on now.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Uhg. Sorry, but did they say that she should never get the injection again?

If they are sick at all, or infected, no shots. They say that they must charge an office call for a vaccination, because the dog should be healthy, BUT they never even take the dog's temp.

Good thing the reaction was immediate. One of the pups was vaccinated by its owner the same day as their min pin. The min pin went into encepheletic shock on the way home from the vet. Three days later the pup had a bad siezure.

I am sorry you are going through this. It must have been scarey as ****. collapsing and vomiting are horrible signs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my mom had the same problem with her yorkie, he got his rabies, and a couple days later he got a uti, and so did several other dogs.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhg. Sorry, but did they say that she should never get the injection again?

If they are sick at all, or infected, no shots. They say that they must charge an office call for a vaccination, because the dog should be healthy, BUT they never even take the dog's temp.

Good thing the reaction was immediate. One of the pups was vaccinated by its owner the same day as their min pin. The min pin went into encepheletic shock on the way home from the vet. Three days later the pup had a bad siezure.

I am sorry you are going through this. It must have been scarey as ****. collapsing and vomiting are horrible signs.
thankfully we were still in the vet office. of course you think the worst, "i hope this isn't it and my gf isn't here to say good bye"

she is healthy, she has a yeast infection in her ear (the problem i came in about) but no other issues.

she did great with her puppy vaccines - so frustrating!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Good idea to have the rabies given separate from other vax, at least 2 weeks in between. And wait as long as legally possible to have it given. If the pup is suffering from anything, it will compromise the immune system, so the vet should never give it, but they do!
I would have titers run for Koch from now on and have a waiver if possible so she never has to have the rabies vax again.
I take it they charged you for the injections to counteract the vax? I hope they document this and let the company that produced it know.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
My aussie reacted to the rabies vaccine a couple months ago. Here is the thread I posted, there are a couple interesting links LisaT posted in the thread.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/archive-5-health-wellness/121801-rabies-vaccine-reaction-non-gsd.html

My vet did not charge me for the treatment after her reaction. It is his policy to not charge for reactions to vaccines. I did make sure it was documented, and I did receive a waiver from our local animal control.

I am so sorry this happened, and am glad you were still there when it did, and that she is fine. Very scary!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts