German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This kind of post makes me so angry. We live in a desert, it's too hot during the summer and fall for most dogs to be outside all day anyway! Beautiful girl, too. Most dogs would rather have walks than be "exercised" in the yard anyway.

Purebread Female German Shepard
HI,
We are sadly needing to find a great home for our 1 year old German Shepard. The fences up here in Ventana Ranch are less than 4ft tall at all of the houses and our little girl likes to jump on the fences. Some of our neighbors are not happy about that, so they called animal control and they said we have 1 week to stop her from jumping. We don't feel she should be couped up in the house all day, but if we let her outside while we are gone she jumps on the fence. We sadly have no other option then to find her a great home.

She is house trained and knows how to sit on comand. She has never been socialized with other dogs other than her brother who we also have(he is too big to jump on the fence). She is a little timid at first but is great around our 3yr old, 20mo old and 7wk old little boys. She is kennel trainied and has no problem going in at night to sleep. Like I said she likes to jump and can jump very high, so please make sure you have an adequate yard for her to play in. As of right now she is spending almost all of her time in the house, but that is not fair for her. She is also microchipped, fixed and has her shots. We are not asking for a rehoming fee but we will not just give her to the 1st person that calls, she needs to go to a good loving home, kids are good, not sure about other dogs.

Please feel free to e-mail me and I will get back to you asap.
Thanks,
Matthew

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I am with you, what a bunch of idiots!!! So the dog jumps on the fence I had to read this twice because at first I thought she was jumping over the fence but seems not.

Hey moron how about training her to stay off the fence!!! And dogs should not be left out all day in that kind of weather. UGH!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
that is definitely the case of a clueless owner. poor girl has to suffer for their stupidity. poor girl. I would take her in a heartbeat. All she needs is a home that will love her and allow her to be in with the family where she obviously wants to be if she's jumping fences when she's left in the yard like that. fools.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, this just proves that common sense isn't that common.

"We don't feel she should be couped up all day." So the alternative is to let her jump fences and get in all kinds of trouble? Seriously? Proof that maybe people need to pass an I.Q. test before owning a dog. Lack of knowledge is one thing...but this is just pure stupidity, IMNSHO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Clueless owners who can't spell "bred" or "shepherd" bother me too. Whenever "bred" is misspelled as "bread" I wonder if they intend to bake their dogs! Oh wait, desert heat, maybe she really meant bread after all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
But she's also keeping the brother dog because he's "too big to jump on the fence"??? I'll just get rid of the "problem" dog but make sure I overfeed the fat one so he can't jump on the fence, that way we can keep him.
DUH!! :headbang:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
OK - I haven't gotten past the 3 yr old, 20 month old and 7 week old kids. C'mon people! Birth Control! If they can't train a dog to stay off the fence - just wait 'til those three little boys start terrorizing the neighborhood. HA!

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
Quote:
"HI,
We are sadly needing to find a great home for our 1 year old German Shepard. The fences up here in Ventana Ranch are less than 4ft tall at all of the houses and our little girl likes to jump on the fences. Some of our neighbors are not happy about that, so they called animal control and they said we have 1 week to stop her from jumping. We don't feel she should be couped up in the house all day, but if we let her outside while we are gone she jumps on the fence. We sadly have no other option then to find her a great home.

She is house trained and knows how to sit on comand. She has never been socialized with other dogs other than her brother who we also have(he is too big to jump on the fence). She is a little timid at first but is great around our 3yr old, 20mo old and 7wk old little boys. She is kennel trainied and has no problem going in at night to sleep. Like I said she likes to jump and can jump very high, so please make sure you have an adequate yard for her to play in. As of right now she is spending almost all of her time in the house, but that is not fair for her. She is also microchipped, fixed and has her shots. We are not asking for a rehoming fee but we will not just give her to the 1st person that calls, she needs to go to a good loving home, kids are good, not sure about other dogs.

Please feel free to e-mail me and I will get back to you asap.
Thanks,
Matthew "

There are definitely sad portions of this post. Her brother being to big to jump on the fence, does sound a bit scarey. But I also see a young family with a three very young children and two dogs, one of which has a bit of an issue.

I do not call these people morons. I think they bit off more than they could chew with three little kids. No way to they have the time and energy to socialize the puppy properly.

It sounds like the breeder or rescue did not do a great job of screening them. A year ago, they had a two year old and an infant, sorry but that is a huge red flag for a puppy for me. Most young families just do not have the time to put into a puppy when they are putting it all into their kids.

Baby three has now arrived, and the poor pup is bored and making somewhat of a nuisance of herself.

But here is what they did not do, and I give them credit for it.

1. They did not drop the dog off at the pound.
2. They did not chain the dog up in the back yard so she could not reach the fence.
3. They did not leave her outside entirely (as she is house trained).
4. They are not crating her indefinitely.
5. They are not trying to get back the full amount they paid for her and then some.
6. They did not put a no jump harness on her and turn her loose in it.

They are not the ideal pet owners. I think they are just young, inexperienced pet owners, who have their hands full and are throwing in the towel. Not everyone knows about German Shepherd Rescues or internet sites.

And in fact, this puppy is probably better off out of their hands and with someone who has more time for it.

Her "brother" could have the same sire and dam and or it could have come from the same litter, or it could just be their other GSD. It could be several years old. It could be elderly.

It sounds like they have vetted and spayed the bitch and have it around their kids.

I do not think they are total zeroes.

They spayed her so who cares if they know the difference between "bred" and "bread." And I just read in our lovely paper today an ad for a German Sheperd. Some people don't know how to spell it.

As for the temperature, if the dog has plenty of water and shade it should be fine outside. Our dogs are over there in Iraq and it is REALLY hot over there, and they are not in air conditioning.

I am never ok with leaving a dog just in a fenced yard, but it may not be as bad as everyone thinks.

I find it sad because there are MANY alternatives to rehoming the dog. But I also think that this puppy might have a better life with another family.

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
OK - I haven't gotten past the 3 yr old, 20 month old and 7 week old kids. C'mon people! Birth Control! If they can't train a dog to stay off the fence - just wait 'til those three little boys start terrorizing the neighborhood. HA!
Birth control maybe after three more kids. Three kids is too few to be thinking about stopping up the pipeline. After six or seven kids I can see thinking about birth control.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Some people are just not dog people... Just people that happen to have dogs.
When we purchased our house, it was with the dogs in mind... We got the appropriate flooring, doors, windows, rooms, etc. We didn't just bring home a dog and see if it works out... People like this are up there with "we're moving, can't take our pets." So... your pets are capable of moving, just not with you?

Also... Not that I agree with leaving a dog out all day long, but what about people that don't have AC in their house? Wouldn't the dog rather be outside? (in the shade probably).

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
"Birth control maybe after three more kids. Three kids is too few to be thinking about stopping up the pipeline. After six or seven kids I can see thinking about birth control."

I wasn't thinking so much of the number of children as the time span. I had a relative who had three kids in a row. Then - she died. She had some undiagnosed condition and the pregnancies took a toll on her body. At any rate, I know it isn't any of my business how many kids they have - or how close together. They have their hands full - no doubt about it.

·
Registered
32,713 Posts
Birth control maybe after three more kids. Three kids is too few to be thinking about stopping up the pipeline. After six or seven kids I can see thinking about birth control.

I'm number 2 of 8 and yes there was BC involved, just didn't work very well..and no...we didn't have dogs..Mom was wayyyy to busy. :) The youngest 5 of us came in 6 years.

I see a couple over their heads and hoping to find a new home for their pup as they were given one week to do so. They are really out of choices at this time. I hope she finds a new home or a rescue can find room before she ends up in the shelter. :(

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Wow Jax, that's funny. My great-grandmother had 24 kids in 23 years. I think she was pregnant for ALL of her child-bearing years. Her youngest child is still living. He is close to 90. I just can't imagine. I have three kids and they are spread out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Also... Not that I agree with leaving a dog out all day long, but what about people that don't have AC in their house? Wouldn't the dog rather be outside? (in the shade probably).
My issue is their reasoning. The dog shouldn't be couped up so we're going to leave it outside when we KNOW that it can jump the fence...which is MORE dangerous. But, apparently, danger takes a back seat to being couped up...LOL. That's where the stupidity comes into play. And, concerning the AC, I still wouldn't leave my dog outside if I wasn't there to supervise it. But that's just me. Too much can happen. Of course I have the luxury of having dogs who don't want to be outside without me.:)

I agree with selzer in that some people are not dog people. But you don't need to be a dog person to realize you don't leave a dog outside when it constantly jumps the fence. That's common sense, IMO. That's what makes me irate. That dog could have gotten hit by a car, killed, attacked another dog/child...who knows? And their reasoning is that they don't want it couped up? That's the stuff that I simply can't comprehend because it defies logic/common sense. Which goes back to my original point of common sense not being that common.

Not a dog person, fine. Give the dog up. I have no problem with someone realizing that a dog is not for them or that it's not working for their family. Some things you don't really get until you experience it. Totally normal. I get that and I understand it. I even applaud them for realizing it. But their reasoning sucks as to why that poor dog was left outside knowing it was escaping.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I was looking at my CL near me and it was sad to see all those dogs being given away.

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
My issue is their reasoning. The dog shouldn't be couped up so we're going to leave it outside when we KNOW that it can jump the fence...which is MORE dangerous. But, apparently, danger takes a back seat to being couped up...LOL. That's where the stupidity comes into play. And, concerning the AC, I still wouldn't leave my dog outside if I wasn't there to supervise it. But that's just me. Too much can happen. Of course I have the luxury of having dogs who don't want to be outside without me.:)

I agree with selzer in that some people are not dog people. But you don't need to be a dog person to realize you don't leave a dog outside when it constantly jumps the fence. That's common sense, IMO. That's what makes me irate. That dog could have gotten hit by a car, killed, attacked another dog/child...who knows? And their reasoning is that they don't want it couped up? That's the stuff that I simply can't comprehend because it defies logic/common sense. Which goes back to my original point of common sense not being that common.

Not a dog person, fine. Give the dog up. I have no problem with someone realizing that a dog is not for them or that it's not working for their family. Some things you don't really get until you experience it. Totally normal. I get that and I understand it. I even applaud them for realizing it. But their reasoning sucks as to why that poor dog was left outside knowing it was escaping.
And yet, there are people who feel that keeping a dog in a fenced yard is keeping them cooped up. They believe doggies should be free to roam the woods and the fields and come and go as they please. Yes, some people have some really, bad ideas.

I think these people could have had good suggestions to keeping this dog safely, but I think just as much that they probably are realizing that she is a lot more work than they figured with everything else.

Does the bitch jump up on the fence or over the fence? Why would the neighbors care if it wasn't over. Why would AC care?

I think that they are doing a good thing in trying to ensure that the new owners understand that they have a little escape artist though, and that she may not be good with other dogs.

I think they are not grusome in other words.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, not gruesome, but in the interest of finding her a good fit for a new home, it would be more responsible to clearly state the issues they are having that go beyond the fence-jumping.
All you need is google to help you figure out that crating your dog while you're at work (or leaving him/her inside) and playing outside WITH your dog would solve the problem. My guess is that she has some other serious behavior issues (caused by lack of training/socialization) that aren't being discussed.
If not, if she is a perfect dog whose only problem is fence jumping, then they aren't "forced" to find her a new home, only to keep her inside and supervise her outside.
But yes, they obviously are more responsible than many in this city who just drop the dogs off in parking lots or alleys or leash them to the steps at the pound.

·
Registered
32,713 Posts
Wow Jax, that's funny. My great-grandmother had 24 kids in 23 years. I think she was pregnant for ALL of her child-bearing years. Her youngest child is still living. He is close to 90. I just can't imagine. I have three kids and they are spread out.
Is your last name Johnson?! :rofl: There is a family here that had 24 kids in it during the same amount of time. I can't remember exactly what one of the grandkids told me. They are quite the crew. :)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Jax - Great grandma was a Ray. It sounds like the Rays and Johnsons could have given the Duggars some competition. HA! Better them than me.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm the oldest of 7 and we always had dogs....we just took care of them. I personally have two kids which is all the kids I want. I only have 2 arms and 2 eyes....any more kids and I'll be spinning in circles all day:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts