German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What types of service work are GSDs good at? I know they a lot of the time aren’t very good for someone with anxiety (not all of them but a lot.) So what other tasks are they good at and comfortable with?

·
Registered
177 Posts
What types of service work are GSDs good at? I know they a lot of the time aren’t very good for someone with anxiety (not all of them but a lot.) So what other tasks are they good at and comfortable with?
I know they have been very successfully bred and used as guide dogs for the blind in the past. I would imagine there are some GSD breeders still breeding for service dogs somewhere? Doesn't seem like you hear alot about GSD service dogs or guess I haven't at least. Maybe punch it into the search function on the forum and see what you come up with?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I know they have been very successfully bred and used as guide dogs for the blind in the past. I would imagine there are some GSD breeders still breeding for service dogs somewhere? Doesn't seem like you hear alot about GSD service dogs or guess I haven't at least. Maybe punch it into the search function on the forum and see what you come up with?
I do not recall where I read this - may have been on this forum. My understanding was that GSDs stopped being used as service dogs (as frequently) because of a change in the people requiring them. They were a suitable breed for young service men injured in battle to handle. When the demographics changed of the people primarily using service dogs so did the breeds - GSDs were a lot to handle for some people. I could be way off and I don't recall the source of that information - to be taken with a grain of salt. It wasn't that the breed became less able to handle the work so much as the handlers became less able to handle the breed - making labs a more suitable option... along with other breeds who are doing the work successfully!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts