German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a new owner of a German Shepherd puppy, I got her at 8 week's old and she's now 13 week's.. my question is what is the best dog food I can get her thank you.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The best dog food is the one that works best for your dog and your budget. Some good dog food brands to consider are the following:

Orijen
Acana
Merrick
Nature's Variety Instinct
Taste of the Wild
Castor and Pollux (owned by Merrick & therefore Purina)
Horizon Legacy
Victor
Fromm
4Health
Earthborn Holistic
Go!

Some are pricier than others. Be aware of who the mother company is, as it can influence production quality and recalls.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
For a 13-week pup, if you can afford Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy (regular, with grain), that's what I'd go with. It costs about $54 per 33 pounds. (Sold on Petflow.com, or at independent mom-and-pop pet food stores.) Fromm is a fantastic family-owned company known for quality food, good sourcing of ingredients, and quality control.
https://www.petflow.com/product/fromm/fromm-gold-holistic-large-breed-puppy-dry-dog-food?trk_search_product=1

If that cost is too steep for your budget, then I'd go with Diamond Large Breed Puppy (sold on Chewy.com, and at Tractor Supply Co. stores, and many independent stores). It runs around $45 per 40 pounds (add a bag of treats to get free shipping at $50 from Chewy). I would not go lower than this in the range of foods, if you can avoid it -- this one is the best bang for your buck in terms of low price/decent quality in the mid-tier of foods. I buy lots and lots of this for the rescue when we have puppies in foster care. Just keep your lot codes until all the food is gone, as they have had major recalls in the past (though not for several years).
https://www.chewy.com/diamond-naturals-large-breed-puppy/dp/34917

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
Please make sure that in the future you start your threads in the appropriate area of the board. This one is Current Dog Affairs, we have sub forums specifically about feeding puppies.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ive put my pup on Fromm's... first the heartland gold large breed puppy, and have switched to regular gold... its a little less expensive and 33 pounds vs 26 pounds. he loves both and is doing great on both.

To cut cost, I thought about taste of the wild, and other brands but was skeptic about quality control...

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Big fan of Fromm for a kibble. I fed the Fromm large breed puppy gold. Max gobbled this up - Luna a little more picky. You can ask your local feed store if they offer the buy 12 bags and get the same bag mostly purchased for free. Fromm is a family owned company with little recalls frhttps://frommfamily.com/products/dog/gold/dry/large-breed-puppy-gold/

·
Registered
984 Posts
So many types of dog food out there but I went with Acana. I don’t feed puppy formula but all life stages. I am rotating flavors and he also gets raw in the eve also rotating flavors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts