German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have known this woman for years. She trains hard. This is why I preach to folks to maintenance train in a manner that teaches folks to be able to read their dog. Dogs react to anomalies. This dog is not trained on live but being a dog,reacted and her handler let her work it. Folks that do not deploy a lot dont always understand that dogs WILL react and should react to an anomaly and check it out. Handlers should let them.:)

Dog trained to find bodies found a missing Brantley man Sunday still alive | jacksonville.com

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I love a good story with a happy ending :)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Great story. I know on one search I reported an anomaly (dog hackling and very cautious) and knowing Grim was fine with full bodies, we figured it was a bear so we did not follow up directly -BUT- we did report it to the IC and it was an area with lots of bears; body later found several counties over.

We had another one where a live find handler reported strange behavior and the dog would not go in but that is where the person had passed away.

Great when it goes the other way! And great she trusted the dog and went with it.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
On the Antuco disaster my Border Collie (live find) repeatedly showed interest in a zone, my partner fathomed(?) and touched something. When a contingent of soldiers arrived at the area we told them and they stayed to dig on the snow while we left to keep searching. Back in camp I was told there were a barricade made of backpacks, and under them, four bodies.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I love this quote from the handler:

“When I got up to [Taza], she was staring him in the face wagging her tail,” Batten said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts