German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just looking for some thoughts. One week ago I added a new member to my family Mocha (10 week old). My current dog Gem (2 years old) loves the puppy. She plays with the puppy very gently and allows the puppy to chase her around the yard. She basically just walks otherwise the puppy can't keep up and gives up haha.

Yesterday I went to a BBQ. There was about 30 people there and 3 other dogs. Gem and Mocha are very social so they said hi to everyone at the party including the dogs. All the dogs get along great. Mocha was the hit of the party. The other dogs would play with Mocha and Gem didn't care but if they go to rough with Mocha Gem would run in with her hackles raised and split them up. It seemed she was being protective over Mocha. Is this going to be a problem for the future? Should I stop this and correct this behavior now. Or is this some kind of "pack" thing. Gem is submissive to all humans. So anytime someone would pick up Mocha or pet her or show her attention Gem could care less.

Other then that. The BBQ was a success great socialization. I even got some training in with all the distractive and surprisingly Mocah (10 weeks) did great as did Gem (of course).

Attached some pictures. Mocha and her duck and the pack from the BBQ..minus 1 dog the old man. He hates Mocha...to much energy for the old man haha

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
My girl is 3 now. She has always been that way with pups. Every time I bring home a foster, she takes to him/her immediately. She did the same with Shoba. She has always been ok having other dogs around the pups, even playing or sleeping with them. But when the other dog gets too rough, or the pup tries to get away, Koda generally trots over and places herself in the middle. No aggression, just a calm wall to protect "her" babies.
As long as there's no aggression to it, I wouldn't view it as a problem.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My oldest dog(non GSD) is like that. When things are getting out of hand she steps in and stops it. She steps in at about the same time I would. They all back off and listen to what she has to say.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Sounds to me like Gem is being motherly. It sounds like normal dog behavior that lives together. I don't know how to stop this, I just wanted to give my opinion. Plus it will bump it up for you :) Your dogs are beautiful BTW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts