German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three shepherds and they are all a year apart. My oldest male is 4, his daughter is 3, and the baby is 2 and he is a white GSD. The youngest is the largest, and the other two jump him. I figured that he would eventually fight back, but has never gotten to that point. He is a big baby who is just a sweet and gentle animal. I need advice on how to keep him from getting hurt by the other two. My brother has his brother, and I am being told now that the his temperament is the same way (another dog can jump on him and he just lays down and takes it) but he is not around any dogs that are able to physically harm him. Is there anything short of keeping the other two away from him that can be done to change this behavior? None of the dogs are aggressive to other animals, except for the two jumping on the one. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, as I do not want to have to re-home any of my animals and I would like for them to live in peace together with me.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
What do you do when the other two jump him?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Correct your other two. Do not let them bully him. It is your job to protect him. He sounds like a really nice dog.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you do when the other two jump him?
All I have to do is snap my fingers and they will stop. The problem arises when I am not at home. I work about 60 hours a week, so I am gone a lot. I will come home at night to him having a new cut, a couple have been pretty bad. My dad drove by my house yesterday while I was at work and called to tell me that I needed to re-home him because the other two wouldn't let him in the yard and he was standing in the road. I had them all on a wireless perimeter and the bullied shepherd crossed the line and let the collar shock him until I removed it. He constantly plays with them, but they are mean to him more than they are friendly. I had them separated until recently due to flooding around my house. The other two are happier now that they are at my house instead of my barn, so moving them back to the barn feels unfair. The best idea that has come my way is to take him to live with my parents where his brother is currently. He will be happy and well taken care of, and I wouldn't really be giving him away, as he would still be at a place I will always call home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct your other two. Do not let them bully him. It is your job to protect him. He sounds like a really nice dog.
I do, but they do the damage when I am not home. He is a VERY nice dog. He has the mindset of a puppy still though, and he will be two soon. He is the true definition of a gentle giant.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have two males I keep separate at all times. I keep one upstairs and the other down, or one outside and the other inside, and I switch them around every few hours so they get equal time with the family (more or less). I’d either keep your bullied dog separate from the others, hire a GSD-experienced trainer to evaluate and help, or if you have a family member nearby who could care for him properly with a friendlier dog-situation that may be a good solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts