German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions...

1. Is it normal for a GS puppy to get really attached to one person? Chevy loves attention and playing with all of us but if I leave the room, he follows me or cries when he can't see me/be near me, even if my husband and kids are playing with him or giving him attention.

2. When company comes over, Chevy wants nothing to do with them. He sniffs them for a second or two and if they try to pet him, he walks away and more often than not, comes by my side. He shows no aggression (ie. barking, growling, etc.) and doesn't act scared (no tail between legs, crying, etc). I thought puppies were supposed to love company and all that attention they bring? We haven't socialized him much, besides company coming over, in the 6 days we've had him since we've all been under the weather. Could the lack of socialization be it?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Chevy sounds like a very smart, perfectly normal puppy. Dogs, like people, have preferences. He will probably not always be your velcro dog, but there's a chance he will always be a "mama's boy' and that the two of you will have a special relationship even though he loves his whole family.

I think his behaviour around strangers is lovely - curious, not aggressive, but knows where he belongs.

dd

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the company issue. Trust me, I WISH Bear would show a little more...decorum with guests. I mean geez man, its not like we don't give you attention a plenty, but you'd think he never gets petted from the way he begs guests to love on him if we let him.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Don't know if I would be worried about his behavior around strangers, or bond with you.

BUT I would be aware of it as a possible issue down the line. So to continue to take him out in the car alot, and meeting new people alot, and going to puppy classes. And make sure you DO leave him home with the family when you go out so it's not a freak out anxiety down the line for him.

For a puppy, the 'aloof with strangers' is a bit early (in my opinion). So I'd start making sure I'd have the ziplock bag full of chicken/liver/beef on every trip outside the home so 'strangers' could be feeding him the treats. As well as when people come to the home.

And you may want to have other family members take over feeding the meals (NO FREE FEEDING!!! You want mealtimes in the am and pm). We want a balanced puppy who's confident and happy with all family members and in public.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts