German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
this one?
Yes that is one of them. There was also an older one with an even larger list.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
They are both good threads IMO

·
Registered
16,220 Posts
Back tracking here to this thread --- Yes two large crates. In my experience, there was never a need for a divider to make the crate smaller. Pups did fine in the large, undivided crate from the get go.

While standard wisdom is no littermates, no two puppies so close in age as even a year, no two females.... A family at our club has done an amazing job with two female littermates. They are fun to watch work with the dogs. May you have the same success.

·
Registered
186 Posts
And don't forget dog-dog communication.
If you ever want to be able to take them places and walk them, you should do a lot of familiarization.
It could be great to find a few adult dogs in your environnement that you could walk your pups with.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You may also want to look into "orphan puppy" care.
There are probably good information available online as many rescue organizations have booklets and other educational material they provide to families willing to care for orphans.

You could find useful info in such material about developmental stages, socialization, bite inhibition, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most of us would have a ton of advice, too much to put into this one thread. Your puppies are little right now and soon, they will start doing things that you would not approve of. When this happens, make sure that the punishment fits the crime - so to speak. If you over correct too harshly, they will know it. I can't imagine what issues would come up if they were reprimanded too harshly too often or too long. My puppy will be turning 5 months old in a couple weeks, so far, he's only been reprimanded for biting us - which he does a lot of. It's easy to get carried away and go above and beyond what normal discipline would be for this. I have wanted to do all sorts of mean things back to him in retaliation for the biting.. but I hold back and try the easiest methods of deterring him from it. Sometimes, he bites and there's not much you can do but scream "Ouch!"

·
Registered
66 Posts
We used newspaper to startle, and at times reprimand a cockapoo that we had ( rolled up, it was a bonker, and as a full sheet, it was used to startle the dog to make it stop doing 'stuff' on the floor. Back in the early 70's, newspapers were a daily household item so there was never a shortage of it. Some people have their own method and tools for "Bonking" the dog when it needs a correction. I have my own version of a bonker now. It's also used to startle the pup from doing 'stuff' as well. It works pretty good, and isn't as punishing as some items in other posts on here. If my pup bites us too hard, we "Bonk" him on the head ( hopefully) he's fast, and has better than 4 wheel drive and can evade faster than I can catch up. If he is taunting my Jack Russell into an altercation, just picking up my bonker is all it takes to let him know, "I'm Watching You" It's just 2 items, a Two and a 1/4 inch diameter pool noodle cut in 3 pieces, and a cheap plastic garbage bag. I prefer the 21 inch section of pool noodle and place that into a bag. The other 2 pieces can be used as another bonker for the hubby or used in a different room, or be used as a temporary toy. After getting 'bonked' two or three times, he knows we mean business. We don't swing it wildly hard and fast like trying to hit a home run. Just a firm 'bonk' and with the rattling plastic bag as it hits his head, it gets his attention asap. Here it is in it's entirety unassembled and "assembled"
Hand Glove Sleeve Gesture Flooring
Pink Material property Magenta Nail Font

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am still on the first plastic bag and pool noodle from 2 months ago. Just grab it like a bat from either end and bonk away. (Use caution as it is scary!)

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
Just don't do this. Don't hit your dog in the head with stuff. Don't startle your puppy swinging things at it. This isn't 1972 and dog training has come a long way.

I'm on my way to work, so I'll pick this up later tonight.

For reading concerning this training method, you can search for bonker. Lots of experienced trainers giving sound advice.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Please don’t use a bonker.

·
Registered
Zeppelin
97 Posts
We used newspaper to startle, and at times reprimand a cockapoo that we had ( rolled up, it was a bonker, and as a full sheet, it was used to startle the dog to make it stop doing 'stuff' on the floor. Back in the early 70's, newspapers were a daily household item so there was never a shortage of it. Some people have their own method and tools for "Bonking" the dog when it needs a correction. I have my own version of a bonker now. It's also used to startle the pup from doing 'stuff' as well. It works pretty good, and isn't as punishing as some items in other posts on here. If my pup bites us too hard, we "Bonk" him on the head ( hopefully) he's fast, and has better than 4 wheel drive and can evade faster than I can catch up. If he is taunting my Jack Russell into an altercation, just picking up my bonker is all it takes to let him know, "I'm Watching You" It's just 2 items, a Two and a 1/4 inch diameter pool noodle cut in 3 pieces, and a cheap plastic garbage bag. I prefer the 21 inch section of pool noodle and place that into a bag. The other 2 pieces can be used as another bonker for the hubby or used in a different room, or be used as a temporary toy. After getting 'bonked' two or three times, he knows we mean business. We don't swing it wildly hard and fast like trying to hit a home run. Just a firm 'bonk' and with the rattling plastic bag as it hits his head, it gets his attention asap. Here it is in it's entirety unassembled and "assembled"
View attachment 578449 View attachment 578450
This seems like a great way to create a fearful dog that does not trust you. I may be new-ish to the GSD world but this seems inherently wrong and mean. My GSD is sensitive and I could not ever imagine hitting him with any object. There are better ways to garner respect and listening.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If you want to bonk something, bonk yourself for not watching the puppy closely enough ;) The best way to house break a puppy is to never let them have the opportunity to have an accident if at all possible. Very young puppies don't have a lot of bladder control, but GSDs learn quickly. They just can't make their bladders mature at a faster rate. I know that my guy was completely house broken by 12 weeks. It's just going to be harder having two to watch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's quite obvious you guys take the entire point of my post reply above to an extreme. It's your opinion and you are entitled to think I abuse my dogs, kick kittens and punch babies. Carry on.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
It's quite obvious you guys take the entire point of my post reply above to an extreme. It's your opinion and you are entitled to think I abuse my dogs, kick kittens and punch babies. Carry on.
You may not read or like the following but you should invest time in learning how dogs learn so you can be amore intelligent trainer of your dog.
Your advice is also read by other people, new to training a serious breed, and they may take that as good advice.
I post this not so much for you (since your mind is closed) as well as for others new to this.

·
Super Moderator
7,913 Posts
Back to the topic please,which is sleeping arrangements for two puppies.

Reactions: wolfy dog
21 - 36 of 36 Posts