German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Teal's - 5 week old GSD / Bra'Tac - 5 week old GSD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife and I recently got two GSDs. They are two boys, brothers. They are about 5 weeks old. We got them from the wife's friend. Currently we have them sleeping in one big crate. I was wondering if one big crate is better for puppies or would be advised to get two crates, so they both have their own home?

Another question would be should we get crates that are big enough for them to grow into or something smaller, and just get bigger ones as they grow? My understanding of crate training dogs is that the crate doesn't need to be huge, it isn't meant to be their home, just a bed or a safe space? Any ideas on size would be greatly appreciated.

I believe when they are bigger, they will need their own crate. Wouldn't it be best to start them off this way now? Originally I thought them being in the same crate would make it easier for them to get use to their new home. But they do the puppy thing with chewing on each other, which is horrible, they are just puppies playing, but I am now wondering if I should separate them at night. I am hoping to training these guys to be great members of the family, so any advise will be taken to heart.

Thanks you for any advise to a new GDS owner.

·
Super Moderator
8,100 Posts
They should not be away from mom until at least 8wks old.They are skipping over a critical period when they are learning how to properly interact with each other and bite inhibition. You've definitely got your work cut out for you.Search for "litter mate syndrome". Best case scenario is to return both pups for the next three weeks. If that's impossible consider returning one.
A large crate with a divider that can be moved as puppy grows so he doesn't eliminate at one end and sleep in the other is practical.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Get two large crates for them as adults with a divider so you can adjust their spaces as they are growing. You are in for a ton of work if you want to do this right from the start. Read up on this forum about raising siblings. The key is to prevent them from bonding too strong with each other and not with you. I think they are too young to have left the litter but that's what it is now. Young litter pups still curl up together at this age. The following is my personal take: at around 8 weeks they should be not sleeping together anymore. Right now you can have them together in one crate but also get them used to each their own a few times a day. After 8 weeks old, you can gradually move the crates away from each other to make them less depended on each other. I am sure more will chime in here, hopefully people who have done this successfully. Pictures please!!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for your reply. I feel so welcome, with only my first post.

I was unaware of the time table for the pups leaving home. If I knew better I would have done things differently. But at this point there is no going back. Returning them for a few weeks or just returning on isn't really an option. Also, the wife is in love with both of them. I will take both of your advise. I will plan on getting another crate. I will separate them for a little while every day until they are about 8 weeks. Then I will separate them for good.

That is a great idea. I didn't even think about a large crate that can be sectioned off to grow as they grow. That seems to be how I will do it.

I will post some photos of the pups later today when I get home.

Again, thanks for the great welcome. I look forward to taking advise until one day I am better prepared to give some.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It's actually illegal in most states for puppies to be placed in new homes before they are 8 weeks old. If it is at all possible, the best thing you could do for those pups is to return them to their mother for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
It's actually illegal in most states for puppies to be placed in new homes before they are 8 weeks old. If it is at all possible, the best thing you could do for those pups is to return them to their mother for a few more weeks.
OP stated that this is not an option. We should go from here to get these pups on a good foundation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just want to state that I now know we got the puppies to early. I do feel bad about that, but it cant be undone. The puppies are happy and healthy. They are doing puppy stuff. As far as I can tell. We are preparing for the first vet visit, which my understanding is at 6 weeks (correct or should I reschedule). I just want to make sure I am correcting this mix up with time and ensuring I don't hurt them growing up any more than we already have getting them early.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
You seem to be unaware of some fairly basic things like the correct age for puppies (not a deal breaker) and crate training, bite inhibition etc. What's your experience with dogs and particularly large working/herding breeds? With respect, you have your work cut out for you.

I'd spend a ton of time reading about both bite inhibition and "litter mate syndrome"; you'll need to spend a ton of time training them separately, getting your wife fully involved and learning balanced training imo. At least you got two males instead of two females!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been reading and watching all the videos I can find. I couldn't find a straight answer on the crate question. I feel like I was messing up but not sure. In the end even if our start with the puppies was on the wrong foot I want to make sure it all ends well for the dogs and for me.

I have little to no experience with big dogs, aside from when I was little. I spend a fair amount of time in the military and traveling for work. It has only been the last year or so that I am in a position to finally get back to the dogs.

I am prepared for the time it will take. I am prepared to do what's right for them. I know how amazing they could end up being. I am just hoping to get the extra knowledge I can't Google from those you already dealing with it.

I know I must come across as a newbie or maybe even irresponsible, I accept that bc it's mostly true. But I have the best intentions and the drive to obtain the skills needed. Even if they are obtain via on the job training.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You seem to be unaware of some fairly basic things like the correct age for puppies (not a deal breaker) and crate training, bite inhibition etc. What's your experience with dogs and particularly large working/herding breeds? With respect, you have your work cut out for you.

I'd spend a ton of time reading about both bite inhibition and "litter mate syndrome"; you'll need to spend a ton of time training them separately, getting your wife fully involved and learning balanced training imo. At least you got two males instead of two females!
I know they are young. Everything I read so far says to start training around 8 weeks. Is the 8 weeks just because that's when you should get them? I have been holding off on things other that potty training, chewing and just playing until they are 8 weeks. Is that a mistake? I assume staring now would be a waste of time. Or should I just jump in with sit and stay and general training?

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
I know they are young. Everything I read so far says to start training around 8 weeks. Is the 8 weeks just because that's when you should get them? I have been holding off on things other that potty training, chewing and just playing until they are 8 weeks. Is that a mistake? I assume staring now would be a waste of time. Or should I just jump in with sit and stay and general training?
It's good that you are here. I encourage you to get a good trainer involved, familiar with and supportive of the breed. From your posts I guess you are new to serious dog training and you need help raising two GSD brothers. I think we can only do so much on line.
8 weeks is the minimum age a puppy should leave the litter as they still get valuable lessons in life form their mom and siblings. It is much harder to give them this as a human. Right now you should focus on potty training, giving them gentle life experiences at home, bonding with you individually, meeting safe people. Do not take them out in public until they are 8 - 9 weeks old. Read up on clicker training. I know a few breeders who start them in the litter. I start my youngsters on this as well.
Note: sometimes things can get heated on this forum but in the end we all care about the well being of the dogs (forget the term 'fur babies") and the relationship with their owners (forget the term, "mom and dad") .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are watching the during all waking hours. I assume taking the collars off is for they safety when we aren't watching.

Clicker training is on the list. And I will see if I can find some local trainers. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Don't bother serious training at this age. Even at 8 weeks, time together, play, bonding time are far more important. Saying "come" as they are already running to you is a great start. Their brains won't understand stay etc at this age.
It's good you are committed to spending the significant time that will be necessary to raise these two into responsible dogs. Just understand that it's generally not recommended to acquire siblings for good reason.

Follow the instructions above and have fun, they'll have to be your world for a few months/year. And get your wife fully on board if she isn't.

·
Registered
992 Posts
From my experience. When our litter was 4-5 weeks old, the potential buyers were coming over to meet the pups and choose one following my recommendations. After that they were encouraged to drop off a puppy crate with a blanket and a toy so I can start crate training. Initially, I would put 2 pups in 1 crate. It worked very well. When it was the time for the pups to go to their new homes at 10-11 weeks, they were basically crate trained and mostly potty trained. The new owners were super happy.
So, personally, I don’t see a problem for your little pups to sleep together in one crate during the next few weeks before transition to separate crates.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
This is a very good thread, although it’s long. I thought it had a list of sensory experiences to do with puppies like walking on gravel, sand, other textures, exposure to sounds and smells, and places but it may be somewhere else. I did not reread the whole thing. I seem to remember both @David Winners @ and @Fodder talking about that.

·
Super Moderator
9,680 Posts
This is a very good thread, although it’s long. I thought it had a list of sensory experiences to do with puppies like walking on gravel, sand, other textures, exposure to sounds and smells, and places but it may be somewhere else. I did not reread the whole thing. I seem to remember both @David Winners @ and @Fodder talking about that.

this one?

Reactions: LuvShepherds
1 - 20 of 36 Posts