German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I truly believe that almost all dogs prefer to have the company of another dog. Even ol' meanie Paige loves her siblings and would take down an army for them. I see the reaction of solo dogs when i bring Travis, they are just overjoyed to have a doggie friend. A normal walk becomes a fun adventure with another dog. I watch how all of my dogs have communicated over the years, how they nudge each other, play tug, chase each other, pretend fight each other. I will always have two dogs at least. I fight the urge to get a third but two is really perfect.
If you are considering a second dog I would recommend it. Believe me,as someone who sees multitudes of dogs everyday-dogs are happier when they have another dog in the home.
YES THERE IS THE RARE EXCEPTION

·
Registered
488 Posts
We've been considering another one ourselves. Panzer just can't get the cats to play with him.
We do try and have playdates with other dogs but it's tough sometimes. I have a friend who has 3! (a black, a white, and a sable) They live in the country and it's a little easier for them to go out and play. When we fostered that pup for a few days I think he had fun, even though there was quite the size difference. But from what I have read, we will wait until we get some more training in. He's 8 months now. Maybe in another year?

Do most of you have a second GSD or another breed?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Good thread because this is something im seriously considering in the near future. I'd like to know how everyones experiences with two dogs are different than just one. Two seems like the perfect combo.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It's a lot more work with two, more dogs to exercise, more vet bills, more dog school. more dog food, more dog fur in the house, and more toes to trim. You are less mobile with two than with one and there can be jealousy for your attention and toys with the potential for dog fights, and you feel guilty any time you have to leave one at home when you take one out.

I don't recommend getting a second dog unless your first dog is well trained and behaved, socialized, healthy, and happy, and you think you can do the same with the second. I see people getting a second dog in the hopes that it will keep the first dog happy and exercised thinking it will help with behavior problems and they won't have to pay as much attention to the dogs.

This is coming from someone that has had four dogs in the house since the stone age. I do like having more than one dog as they do like being in a pack. I have my performance dog that I train and compete with all the time; my greyhounds that just keep me company in the house; and my foster dog that my performance dog chews on and that I enjoy teaching manners which makes the foster more adoptable.

I am actually going to cut down on my pack size after my greys go as I would like to be more mobile and I would like to spend more time and money on my training and competing.

For someone thinking about a second dog, try fostering for a while to see what it's like having more than one dog in the house and see if it works for you first.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ditto ^^ to the 1st paragraph plus more poop to scoop!

Not sure if i would do it again unless we had a bigger home and more yard space

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I love having two dogs and it's the first time in 14 years that I've only had one. However with a sick, elderly cat and a ton of work right now I just can't afford the time or money for a second dog.

I never regretted having two dogs at the same time though. I think they do enjoy one another's company and it didn't feel like more work...most of the time.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally Posted By: dresdenDitto ^^ to the 1st paragraph plus more poop to scoop!

Not sure if i would do it again unless we had a bigger home and more yard space
Double Ditto that especially if you live alone, taking care of 2 can be worse than a chore! especially when you are gone for 8 hrs, daily

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Has anyone lived in a one bedroom condo or apartment with two GSD's? Daily walks, runs in the park, etc will happen just as much as they do now which is daily, but has anyone lived in a one bedroom condo with multiple GSD's or large breed dogs that receive enough physical and mental stimulation? I mean is it that much more difficult than just one?

·
Registered
217 Posts
My pack spend almost all of their time indoors in the living room and the master bedroom, but we do have a back yard that they go out to run and play in at least a couple times a day plus the 2 mals get obedience training most days. IMO it wouldn't be so much the lack of living space as the lack of fenced yard space that would make it difficult for two GSDs in apartment life.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
After 5 days of straight rain and two 9 month old puppies expending most of their energy in the house I still say it is great to have two! As long as you don't mind chaos and an occasional overturned chair

·
Registered
28 Posts
We just got a 2 yr old border collie x huntaway as a companion for our 9 month old GSD. We had him on trial for a week to see how it went and I have to say it's the best thing we've ever done!! Fletcher (my GSD) is learing heaps from Tai (the collie x) and they have great fun playing together. During the day when I work (I work from home) Fletcher used to be bugging me all day toplay and I'd have to crate her to calm her down and get some peace. Now the 2 dogs have a play in the morning before I start work, then crash out in the office until lunch time, when I take them outside for a play and then they crash out again until it's time for their walk in the evening. It's just great!

So if you do have a pup and want to get another dog, I would truly recommend getting an older, well trained dog rather than another young pup as I can imagine that would just be heaps more work. I'm not finding two much more work apart from the extra pooper scooping of course

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Originally Posted By: SuzyE I watch how all of my dogs have communicated over the years, how they nudge each other, play tug, chase each other, pretend fight each other.
My previous two dogs lived together for 10 years, and they never did any of those things. They never played together, wrestled, and so on... They did like each others' company but neither of them was ever interested in playing with another dog. When it came to play they mostly found each other to be a third wheel who got in the way and stole their toys!
Don't get me wrong they were very attached to each other but they did not provide an outlet for each other for playing or exercise, because they just were not into playing with other dogs.

·
Registered
885 Posts
mine play all the time, inside, outside, day or night..we actually had to bring one up to our room at night because they were waking us up in the middle of the night rough housing! there is a 5 year difference in age

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
even if the dogs don't play they still benefit from the company. Two dogs is easy. Three is difficult to transport, walk etc. I fight the urge for a third cuz two is so very easy.
I guess Paige and Jazmin broke every sterotype. Paige was not that well trained at the time, two females only 8 months apart. Best buddies from day one. Jazmin NEVER picked up Paige's bad traits and went on to become a therapy dog. Paige adored her little sister and it gave her a job and that really helped a lot.
I can't imagine having only one dog so I doubt that will happen.I want to encourage everyone on the fence to choose rescue AND JUST DO IT!!!! Two is NOT harder to me it is EASIER!

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Quote:Believe me,as someone who sees multitudes of dogs everyday-dogs are happier when they have another dog in the home.
YES THERE IS THE RARE EXCEPTION
I don't know if I agree with this.. I think it's more of a human conception..

I guess I want dogs for all the wrong reasons... I get dogs for myself, to be into me and enjoy the time I spend with them, just hanging out, playing w/them, training, competing.. I don't want them looking to each other for companionship or to occupy their time.. That's what I'm for! Call me the odd man out..

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
another myth-the new dog will bond more to the old dog than you. I have had three puppies and this still has not happened.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have two dogs, and it doesn't always work out as wonderfully as you would hope. Everyone hopes that they will become the best of friends...can't guarantee it! My dogs cannot be out together. Period. It makes it very difficult to make sure both get the time they need. Plus, I have a 60lb dog and an 8lb dog. Jayda would LOVE to play with Jester, but he wants nothing to do with it so her attempts to play with him often get nasty and they have to be separated. Even though she doesn't have aggressive intent, she could easily accidentally hurt him.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have to agree with Leesa. I get my dogs for me. They couldn't care less about eachother. Yes they will sometimes wrestle or run laps in the yard but would much rather be doing things with me. It hurts my heart to see 2 dogs(or more) so attached to eachother that they can't be out of sight. What happens when one gets sick and needs to be hospitalized? When the end has come and one passes away or needs to be put to sleep? It's sad.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Quote:another myth-the new dog will bond more to the old dog than you. I have had three puppies and this still has not happened.
Totally not a myth.. There are LOTS and LOTS of dogs that bond more with the other dog and not their people.. We see it all the time and it is extremely sad..

Clearly it is how one raises the dog..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts