German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am hoping to get some opinions about introducing a new puppy to my (will be) 5 year old, female GSD...we want to add another pup to the family. People keep saying because we have a female, we should get a male pup. Lexi is for the most part friendly with other dogs. What are other people’s experiences with two dogs?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've kept 3 bitches together in the past and had no difficulties but I've also had other bitches that have almost killed each other.

Once two bitches fight each other, they will always fight. So you then have to kennel them separately or crate and rotate.

I would advise not to keep two bitches together in the same household.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
There's a saying...."males fight for breeding rights and females fight for breathing rights". That said, it's really an odds thing and a male x female pair gives the best odds for a favorable outcome vs 2 males or 2 females. Not sure about the males, however females appear to hold grudges.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
The problem with two females is that you don't know there is a problem until it's a problem. Then you are in a crate and rotate or rehoming position. Because yup, they hold grudges. They are sneaky, manipulative, backstabbing bitches.
Two boys will duke it out, a boy/girl combo will sort it out but two girls? Think high school, mean girls. They are in it to win it. And they will smile and pose while plotting.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
I, personally, never want to females in my house at the same time ever again.
same!!
my sweet, silly, gets-along-with-everyone 2yr old girl Gia showed me that she was capable of nearly killing another dog when i brought home an 8mo old female with a little too much attitude. a couple months (3 serious fights later) changed the next 11yrs of our lives. Gia lived up to being a bitch, Rex got a new home, and i feel just as strongly now as i did 18yrs ago to not repeating that combo. at least not with this breed, a small house and full time job.
besides, i love my boys! ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, All, for sharing! Yes, your comments have made my decision to only consider males.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I may have just screwed up by getting yet another girl to add to a 2 girl household. Haven't had an issue yet. My 2 girls that are free to roam the house don't even move much when I'm not home. I put up a camera to watch them play. Later I removed the camera since I have a family. No one mentioned it as spying but it felt that way.

They have had a few disagreements but are quick to resolve things. I've never had to step in. Before that I had tried a boy. Didn't work. My girl who was nice to all dogs hated him. He'd try to play and she just wouldn't have it. So he tried submitting to her and that still wasn't good enough. That plus other issues force me to have to take him back to his original owners. I had only agreed to a trial for a month and I just couldn't get it to work. I really hated how mean my gsd was to him. The other dog was a boxer mix. She seemed to like him on mutual ground but that ended the second he stepped into the house.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I may have just screwed up by getting yet another girl to add to a 2 girl household. Haven't had an issue yet. My 2 girls that are free to roam the house don't even move much when I'm not home. I put up a camera to watch them play. Later I removed the camera since I have a family. No one mentioned it as spying but it felt that way.

They have had a few disagreements but are quick to resolve things. I've never had to step in. Before that I had tried a boy. Didn't work. My girl who was nice to all dogs hated him. He'd try to play and she just wouldn't have it. So he tried submitting to her and that still wasn't good enough. That plus other issues force me to have to take him back to his original owners. I had only agreed to a trial for a month and I just couldn't get it to work. I really hated how mean my gsd was to him. The other dog was a boxer mix. She seemed to like him on mutual ground but that ended the second he stepped into the house.
How old are your two dogs?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had an older male and female and when I brought my new puppy home two years ago I knew my male would not tolerate another intact male in the home. My older female is very dominant and pushy and I knew that would be a "iffy" as well. I decided the best of the worse was to bring in a female puppy. I sorta knew the crate and rotate thing was a real possibility and I prefer working females (IGP) so just went with a female.

My male passed away this past summer. My three got along very well. No issues.

I knew my girls were both pretty pushy and the only saving grace is?how balanced my youngest is. She reads dogs well and is not one to start a fight or get upset if another dog is rude (my older female is).

My two girls get along so well. Older one is spayed and younger is intact. I think in our case, temperaments and age differences are a huge factor (9 years vs 2 years) and also that I don't allow a lot of playing. They can "parallel play" but no rough housing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How old are your two dogs?
One's 9 and the other one will be 9 soon. They've been together for 7 years without an singlet issue. Getting a little older I decided to get a puppy while they could still help me out with her. In reality she helped them. My house is now full of energy. It's exhausting trying to work with them all at once but it's fun and it seems to help them bond. I do individual training but it's fun calling names, giving commands and throwing treats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts