German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage to having 2 crates for one dog?
I have a 42 in varikennel style crate that my girl sleeps in. She's still a puppy right now but it may be smallish when she's older.

A friend of mine is moving and offered to give me his 48 in wire crate for $60, its nearly brand new. Now, my bf is telling me "we have a crate already, why would we need another one", and I think that I am tempted to buy this just because it's a good deal.
HOwever,
if you know of any advantages to having a wire crate or a second crate please let me know!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would save the money. And you can find them much cheaper at a garage sale if you ever get another dog.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Waste of money unless you need one for the car or your getting another puppy soon.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
When we first got Apache he out grew his crate quickly so I had 2 get a bigger one. Then when I got Kiya, she was shipped in a travel crate. I used the travel crate for Lakota at night in the bedroom and I set up the other crate in the sunroom.
I only use crates when they are pups so now all my crates are packed away in the basement.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, general consensus is that its a waste of money / no immediate advantage. I plan on getting another puppy in about a year and a half but i can look for a crate then.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have two crates. One upsairs for sleeping and one downstairs on the main level for during the day while we are at work. Get's to look outback and see whats going on.

Also handy if you need to do something and you need to put him away for a few mintues.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We have 2 crates, one in the livingroom and one in our bedroom. He knows the one in the bedroom is time to go to sleep while and the one in the living room is for observing / watching what is going on. I dont know that it is NECESSARY but it is convenient for us to have 2

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Before Abi came along, we had two kennels. The XL one stays up at all times and the L one stays folded up in the garage or basement and we use it for traveling instead of breaking down the other one, packing it out, and setting it back up. When we know we're going to be traveling a lot with the dog, we just keep it folded up in the back of the car and we pop it up as needed.

Just like Diesel and Lace said, it's not necessary, but it's extremely convenient. Also, 60$ is a great price for a 48". If it wasn't for a sale, I would've paid over 100$ for mine. I'd snag it up just for that reason.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado has a 48" crate on the main floor, a xpen which he sleeps in at night in my room, and another xpen in my sister's room which he uses between when I leave and my sister gets up in the morning. Her yorkie mix uses the one in her room while she's gone for work

He's almost 16 months and still prefers sleeping in the xpen at night, I've tried leaving the door open and he just wanders in and out and whines until I closed the door and he goes to sleep right away :rolleyes: It's like a security blanket for him. While we're home he sleeps on the couch or he has a big bed in our living room he uses as well, but at night or while we're gone he wants to be crated

It's convenient not having to lug one around, but if you don't need it then I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just like Diesel and Lace said, it's not necessary, but it's extremely convenient. Also, 60$ is a great price for a 48". If it wasn't for a sale, I would've paid over 100$ for mine. I'd snag it up just for that reason.
THis is the main reason I was considering buying it..even if it was just to stuff under a couch for the next year or two til I get my next dog. Also, Lara is 5 months old, this is her first summer of her life (winter baby :D) and it's in St. Louis, which regularly reaches over 100 degrees. I was just wondering, I leave the AC on all day for her, but will the plastic walls of the vari-kennel make her too hot even with the AC?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Coming from someone with two crated dogs and at least six crates, I'm glad that I got them when I did. Mine also came from friends for free/cheap. I have two in the house and two in the car with one, if not two extra (buried somewhere in the basement) for travel or just in case something happens to another one.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If it were me and I knew I would eventually need a larger crate, I'd buy it ... the price is certainly reasonable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would buy it since it's a good price just to have around. With my last boy I had one in the main floor living room and one in the lower level family room because he liked to rest in them (vari-kennel type; doors not attached). One of them belonged to a friend, but I gave it back when my boy passed. Now that I have fosters in and out, and I just adopted one of my fosters, I wish I still had a 2nd XL/giant one instead of lots of tiny cat ones. I'll be definitely be looking for big ones at garage sales this year!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
we have several crates. One is downstairs and we are going to be putting one upstairs. They're handy to have spares just in case. Our just in case usually involves a stray that shows up on our door and ends up spending the night. $60 for a 48" is a steal. I'd jump on it and keep it for future needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts