German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Dakota in Obedience Level 3. It is for nine weeks and this Thrusday night is Week # 2.

I would also like to start her on Agility. There is a 6 week course starting at the end of April offered on Sunday afternoons. This is advertised as Agility for Fun. There are no restrictions to age or obedience level, other than the dog must be friendly and have some basic training. It's basically an introduction to the sport and to the equipment for both dog and owner.

We would be finishing the classes at around the same time. Next classes begin in September.

One class is work, the other looks like fun. Dakota is 9 months old. Would this be pushing her too much, too fast? I enjoy the class settings and like the idea that she continues to be exposed to different environments.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I say go for it too, as long as everything remains a positive experience for her (cos of her age). And make sure her hips are prelimmed.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
As long as both of you are having fun and she seems to be able to handle it physically, go for it.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Oh, absolutely go for it. If you can manage it, your dog should love it.

I had a "game plan" for Lancer's training/class schedule when I brought him home. I thought we would focus on the obedience until I felt he was close to being ready to start trials and then branch into other areas. It was out the door less than two months as "opportunities" opened up. His organized schedule now-and this has been since Nov:

Obedience - Monday/Tuesday evenings(sometimes alternate Tues with Kayla.

Thursday - the "fun" stuff:
Agility foundation (this was one of those opportunities that came up) started when he was about four months

Rally - One opportuniy leads to another-Kayla was already doing this, it's after agility on the same night so why not?

If you can, see if you can get a list of what and how they intend on training and whether they are separating puppies and switching equipment between mature dogs and puppies still going through their growth periods which for Dakota would be up till he's 18 months. Dakota will be 8-9 months (?) when this class starts, so they should be focusing on puppy level work and familiarization (no heavy contact/stress work) channel weave work vs the straight weave set-ups and of course people footwork and handling skills.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I've often had my dogs in two (or more) classes at once. Agility and obedience. Or obedience with me on one night and Dh on another. Often, we did private lessons (tracking, herding or something else) during the week as well. If your dog is healthy, active, and you're careful to make sure that you're not physically overexerting her, I think it's a good idea.

Given my great success with my GSD taking multiple classes, my beagle pup has taken multiple classes since I got her at 8 wks old. She doesn't know what it's like not to be busy. She thrives on it.

Since this is Dakota's first time, you may want to schedule classes so that she has a full day off (at least) in between. Give her some time to rest her brain (and body). Don't be surprised if you end up with a dog with more stamina and quicker learning capacity by the end of your classes. I've found that the more I expect of my dogs, the more they deliver.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh - Great responses. I'm going to go for it. I hope that one spot is still available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts