German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’m hoping for a little advice... and maybe a little reassurance if anything. My partner & I are the proud owners of Zeus, our 15week West German Showline puppy. Both parents were Hip & elbow scored with near perfect scores by a very reputable breeder who has been nothing but helpful - but second opinions never hurt (I hope!).

Since walking Zeus we’ve noticed him leaving spots of blood on the floor when we get back home, and after checking his paws we’ve noticed he is scraping his rear outer pads on both paws! (see below pictures)
Eye Dog breed Carnivore Whiskers Fawn
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Whiskers Companion dog

Since seeing this we’ve been keeping a close eye, at first we thought his soft pads were just getting used to the pavement (we walk him down the road to the park 2 minutes from our home). There is no salt, grit or anti freeze on the pavement where we live either!

However we’re now on week 3/4 of walks and showing no signs of stopping the bleeding after each walk (of only 15/20 minutes max).

I have noticed he twists his hocks inwards on the rear which suggests to me like this is the cause? Especially on pavement! (See video link)

I’ve read a lot on here with people explaining that it’s just weak ligaments that will tighten up, and that he’s a puppy and will develop / grow out of it as he matures etc - especially because he is showline so is more prone to this sort of thing?

Basically, can anyone with more experience with puppy development chime in and advise?

I’d be happy to send further photos / videos if experienced members are willing to help!
Thank you for reading, here’s a pic of Zeus - I’m biased but he’s 10/10!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hopefully he will grow out of that. Natures Farmacy can be some help in finding the right supplements to help with this. I would reach out to them.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Hello all,

I’m hoping for a little advice... and maybe a little reassurance if anything. My partner & I are the proud owners of Zeus, our 15week West German Showline puppy. Both parents were Hip & elbow scored with near perfect scores by a very reputable breeder who has been nothing but helpful - but second opinions never hurt (I hope!).

Since walking Zeus we’ve noticed him leaving spots of blood on the floor when we get back home, and after checking his paws we’ve noticed he is scraping his rear outer pads on both paws! (see below pictures)
View attachment 570156 View attachment 570157
Since seeing this we’ve been keeping a close eye, at first we thought his soft pads were just getting used to the pavement (we walk him down the road to the park 2 minutes from our home). There is no salt, grit or anti freeze on the pavement where we live either!

However we’re now on week 3/4 of walks and showing no signs of stopping the bleeding after each walk (of only 15/20 minutes max).

I have noticed he twists his hocks inwards on the rear which suggests to me like this is the cause? Especially on pavement! (See video link)

I’ve read a lot on here with people explaining that it’s just weak ligaments that will tighten up, and that he’s a puppy and will develop / grow out of it as he matures etc - especially because he is showline so is more prone to this sort of thing?

Basically, can anyone with more experience with puppy development chime in and advise?

I’d be happy to send further photos / videos if experienced members are willing to help!
Thank you for reading, here’s a pic of Zeus - I’m biased but he’s 10/10!
View attachment 570159
If I just look at his structure, thats a lot of leg that has to go somewhere. As he matures and gets stronger, ideally he wont be dragging them, he'll be able to compensate and push off a little more. For now though, they make products to help his pads. Musher's Secret is one. Tuf foot, if you look online you'll find them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, is this a normal occurrence with GSD pups?
After mentioning it to the vets they suggested xrays on the hips which I am very reluctant to do before 12 months when he’s fully developed?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all,

I’m hoping for a little advice, I made a post a month ago but figured I had put it in the wrong section....

My partner & I are the proud owners of Zeus, our now 19 week West German Showline puppy. Both his parents are Hip & elbow scored with near perfect scores by a very reputable breeder who has been nothing but helpful - but second opinions never hurt (I hope!).

Since walking Zeus we noticed him leaving spots of blood on the floor when we get back home, and after checking his paws we noticed he is scraping his rear outer pads (see below pictures).

I have noticed he twists his hocks inwards in the rear which could possibly be the cause? The below video is from when he was 15 weeks (See video link).

Our biggest concern is obviously if its issues with his hips (Hip Dysplasia).

Basically, can you guys tell me if this movement is normal? since the video was taken he has stopped bleeding from his paws, however we can still see the abrasions - I assume his pads are just toughening up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as an update - this was Zeus walking a little quicker tonight at nearly 20 weeks old

·
Super Moderator
9,612 Posts
Merged threads, fyi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts