German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So our beagle is leash reactive. If we have sufficient warning on another dog approaching, we can manage it.

If we don't, and he lunges (within the confines of us holding him back), Agis turns on him.

Today on our afternoon walk, a dog across a wide street lost his mind at my guys, which got Agis going (he does not appreciate rude dogs), and he then turned on Xerxes (who tried to lunge when the other dog reacted).

He's not HURTING Xerxes (our beagle), but I'm also breaking them apart immediately.

I'm not sure turning on Xerxes is reactivity - I don't know what it is, aside from mis-channelled negative excitement. The best thing we can for it I think is stay on top of Xerxes's behaviour. At times lately I have considered walking Agis on a prong, but I think we perhaps have more teachable moments before we do that.

Thoughts? Anything that can be done aside from stopping the reactivity on the beagle's part? Am I right about why Agis does it?

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Prongs tend to get excited dogs even more excited.Have you tried walking them individually?My three are way more animated during pack walks and feed off of each other's energy.After you have each individual dog walking satisfactorily then it's time to take them together.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered that about prongs. We walk them separately sometimes, sometimes as a group. But I agree, three is a pack, so if one reacts, they pack up. I'm just not sure how to view Agis's redirection onto Xerxes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should add too, they all walk fine individually - assuming we aren't surprised by any dogs while walking Xerxes. If we don't catch him in time, he goes red and can't hear us, and corrections are useless too.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
I wondered that about prongs. We walk them separately sometimes, sometimes as a group. But I agree, three is a pack, so if one reacts, they pack up. I'm just not sure how to view Agis's redirection onto Xerxes.
he’s becoming over stimulated and taking his frustrations out on the beagle. it’s redirecting, just in a different context than its usually used.

there is a woman in my neighborhood whose dog redirects onto her (leg) at the sight of other dogs.

i agree with walking them separate... to train the beagle and also break the pattern. it can get better but it can also get a lot worse. if you HAVE to walk the pack... do so with another person and with ample space between the boys.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense. I do try to walk/run Xerxes on his own - and he's been way better lately about strange dogs, consistency I guess - it also helps that people are distancing so we have WAY more space than we normally do.

We try to walk the dogs both of us - Toby was riding his bike this afternoon so I took them all out. They did great, I was so pleased, up until that redirection right near the end of the walk. Agis did go through a period of being reactive when he couldn't say hi to another dog (we possibly took 'socialize him to get used to other dogs' too far in terms of him regularly greeting other dogs) but that's been better too the longer we have been limiting his exposure.

You guys have been really helpful - thanks! I have some ideas about some more things to do with Xerxes to try to make other dogs GOOD rather than simply something to tolerate. More treats for quiet and calm!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts