German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing this method posted on social media, but can't really figure out what it actually entails. It is apparently a method for working with reactive dogs. In the interest of continuing education- has anyone tried this, and what is it? Seems to me it is a form of BAT (maybe CAT), but I am unclear.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
I've never heard of it, at least not by that name. I do know of the Look At That! game and have read Control Unleashed, but I've only ever seen that method attributed to Leslie McDevitt, under either its full name or LAT for short.

Since you've been seeing it on social media, why don't you ask for details there? Somebody is apparently using it and I'm sure they could describe it for you.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
Sounds similar to the Look At That game in Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt.
I don't know about that, unless someone is grossly misinterpreting the concept. The whole point of LAT is a quick glance at the trigger and then reorienting to the owner. The dog really isn't supposed to turn and face the trigger, just acknowledge it, and never actually interact with it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't know about that, unless someone is grossly misinterpreting the concept. The whole point of LAT is a quick glance at the trigger and then reorienting to the owner. The dog really isn't supposed to turn and face the trigger, just acknowledge it, and never actually interact with it.

Well is it turn and face the handler or turn and face something else? I'm not sure which Muskeg is referencing. If it is turn and face something or someone other than the handler then no that would not be LAT.

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts

OK, I've been doing this all along...I turn my dogs by walking into them rather than grabbing a collar. I use my legs to force my dog around and then they look at me, I speak calmly to my pooch (Hi there, remember me? The person holding the leash?) and then we move on. Of course I've only watched the trailer. Everyone calming down can only help things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts