German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a turkey carcass that I’ve had in my freezer for a couple months now. It’s not the kind you would cook for Thanksgiving; it’s stripped of most of its meat and all of its skin. I don’t really have the appropriate knife to be able to chop it up, but I wasn’t sure if it’s way too much to give to Archer in one sitting. He’s extremely possessive of raw bones (not surprising!) so it’s hard to trade him for something else when it’s time to be done with the bone. As a result, I tend to only give him things he can fully consume in one go.

Is it too much to give a dog a full turkey carcass to eat all at once?

·
Super Moderator
6,967 Posts
i vote yes. too big, too much bone.

would he tolerate you holding it?
Keystone refuses to work on large bones without taking them to grass or a bed/rug and i have to limit his time with them due to some fractured teeth, so i’ve been holding them.... it was an adjustment, but he figured it out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would not feed a whole carcass all at once. A whole carcass stripped of meat is a lot of bone for a dog to consume in one sitting, and would likely result in a very constipated dog. I would take a hammer or hand saw to it and break it down into smaller pieces. I would also give the bones along with a meal so he is not consuming bone and nothing else. I am assuming these are raw and not cooked bones.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, of course raw bones. Thanks; you guys confirmed what I was thinking. I’ll try the saw idea! That’s about all I’ve got that might have a chance at cutting it up.

Also, he won’t chew on things if I’m holding them. He’s been taught from a puppy that things in my hand are off limits until given to him, so it’s deeply ingrained and he isn’t willing to change.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't feed it to your dog.

Raw bones need to be encased in muscle meat, this provides cushioning as the crushed bones pass through the digestive tract.

Why not make it in to bone broth?
Put in ice cube trays and freeze; feed the bone broth when your dog is unwell and needs some nutrients if they are not eating.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't feed it to your dog.

Raw bones need to be encased in muscle meat, this provides cushioning as the crushed bones pass through the digestive tract.

Here is what it looks like right now. In my opinion, plenty of muscle meat to be perfectly fine for him. Just not as much as would be on a turkey a person would cook.

·
Registered
245 Posts
View attachment 558191

Here is what it looks like right now. In my opinion, plenty of muscle meat to be perfectly fine for him. Just not as much as would be on a turkey a person would cook.
Personally, I would like to see more meat on the carcass.

The breast looks like there is not much meat on it. You will probably find the back to have more meat than the front.

If that is the case and depending on how good you are with a knife and butchery skills? You can chop the carcass length ways to remoe the back in one piece and then chop the back into two pieces, it will be easier choping through the width of the back.

Now if the two pieces seem too big, then you can chop in half again, feed with some organ meat.

Use the breast bones in a broth.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could easily give some extra muscle meat along with it. Like chicken or turkey breast along with the bit of the carcass I give. Or are you thinking the muscle meat needs to be actually attached to the bone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts