German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i'm looking for a bit of advice. Deuce is 4 months old and we've had him since October 18th. I take him for a walk everyday when my kids are in school to socialize him and get him used to noises, wind, ect.

He walks nicely (not great) on a lose leash next to me when we set out for our walk, however when we turn and head back he goes to the end of the leash and pulls as hard as he can until we get home. I've tried taking different routes, stopping when he pulls until he looks at me and then resuming, even spinning him around once and continuing. Any ideas? If there are any horse people here, you'll understand what I mean when I say it's like he's barn sour......

:help:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
He walks nicely (not great) on a lose leash next to me when we set out for our walk, however when we turn and head back he goes to the end of the leash and pulls as hard as he can until we get home. I've tried taking different routes, stopping when he pulls until he looks at me and then resuming, even spinning him around once and continuing. Any ideas? If there are any horse people here, you'll understand what I mean when I say it's like he's barn sour......
:help:
One of our horses use to be fine going for a walk until he couldn't see the barn...and then he would lay down. He didn't want to run back to it, he just wanted to see it. sigh

Back to the pup! Does anything specific happen when you get him home? Do you give him a treat, is it time for him to eat? He might be conditioned to know that after a walk..."something" fun happens.

Try bringing treats and as you start to head back home practice having him focus on you. Make him sit, treat, walk, wait, treat, walk etc. You could practice heeling on the way home too.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My dog Apache does that too. On the way out he stays in a perfect position but as soon as we head home he pulls, sometimes I'll do some turns to the left (into him) and he'll look up at me and back off. The other thing I have tried with him is looping the lead infront of his chest. He's 8 years old and I normally just walk him with a regular leather collar.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i have the opposite problem, i take him for a walk and once we hit the road he will sit and lay down... i provoke him with a treat, he'll move up about 6 feet and ill tell him to come and he'll lay back down again.... but once we get going he seems to do fine until we return and then he'll pull like crazy

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Niko was very much like that as a puppy. He just wanted to get back home I think. He would lag behind me the whole way out, then puuuullll me home. Once he figured out that he got treats when he walked next to me, the pulling was much less and now he only needs little reminders now and then to not pull.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of our horses use to be fine going for a walk until he couldn't see the barn...and then he would lay down. He didn't want to run back to it, he just wanted to see it. sigh

Back to the pup! Does anything specific happen when you get him home? Do you give him a treat, is it time for him to eat? He might be conditioned to know that after a walk..."something" fun happens.

Try bringing treats and as you start to head back home practice having him focus on you. Make him sit, treat, walk, wait, treat, walk etc. You could practice heeling on the way home too.
Nope,nothing special when we get home. Usually I get on the laptop and finish up some work and he sleeps on the couch attached to my arm :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I think the bringing treats with sounds like a good thing to try. Blitz does this a little sometimes too but only after a really long walk, she'll start when we are a few houses away and it's because she want to get in to her water dish (I know cause it's the first place she goes once inside)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Niko was very much like that as a puppy. He just wanted to get back home I think. He would lag behind me the whole way out, then puuuullll me home. Once he figured out that he got treats when he walked next to me, the pulling was much less and now he only needs little reminders now and then to not pull.
Ditto here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts