German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I bought a Tuff Stuff toy for Miikka. Well, about an hour ago, I had to sit down and write the following letter to Hartz………

I’m shocked and saddened by the poor quality of Hartz dog toys.

Today, I purchased a Hartz Tuff Stuff dog toy for my dog at the local supermarket. My dog loves squeaky toys so as soon as I got home I gave it to her. She was playing with her new toy as I worked in the kitchen putting away groceries. After literally only a few minutes I thought the squeaking was getting louder so I look over at my dog and the entire toy was in shreds. The stuffing was out of the toy and she had the squeaker in her mouth!!! I was appalled as that could be very, very dangerous!!! What if she had swallowed the squeaker? That could have caused very serious perhaps even fatal injuries!

Now, I don’t know if I happened to get a toy that somehow got pasted quality control or if it is in fact a design flaw but clearly something is wrong. She literally had that toy torn apart in 2-3 minutes. I don’t know if this helps Hartz figure out where this toy came from, but the barcode number on the item is 3270000752.

My girl is German Shepherd. She is a good sized dog but nowhere on the toys label did I see that the toy was not intended for large dogs. If Hartz is going to continue with the design of this toy as is, you might want to consider putting some disclaimer on the label stating it should not be used with larger breeds.

Thank you

I sent the above message to Hartz via their website. I’ve actually never written to a corporation before complaining about a product. I really didn’t know what to say. I don’t expect anything to come of this but I do think someone at Hartz should be aware of what can happen with their toys. I’m still shaking at the thought of Miikka swallowing that squeaker! It could have killed her!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sobacca's personal mission is to destroy any toy that says "indestructible" on it -- and he's a 45 pound mutt. When he really wants to it will only take him about 3-4 minutes to destroy a toy and move on.
Although I will say he's had some raw bones that I thought impossible for him to destroy and he's broken off pieces of them.
It's quite frustrating to buy a toy and have him destroy it in 2 seconds though; but he and Minna are both really good about NOT eating the stuffing or the squeaker or any other part of the toy -- they just scatter it across the floor for me to clean up.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm glad you got that toy away from your dog before she swallowed the squeaker.

Owning a German Shepherd is your entry pass into the "We'll See About That" club. Vacuum cleaners that claim to pick up dog hair like a magnet? We'll see about that. "Indestructible" toys? We'll see about that.

The only toys I can give my landsharks are Kong toys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kongs are not "indestructable" either. Maverick took chunks out of his red kong, but his black one has seemed to be holding up....so far.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yea both my dogs destroy anything they possible can. They mostly get tennis balls, large ropes, and "stuffingless" toys. Especially toys with squeakers in them, they'll destroy just to get to the squeaker. I feel your pain

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ruby is the same, nothing is safe, only one toy she did not ruin was a little stuffed GSD puppy toy she had since we got her, lasted all of 18 months till Diego got ahold of it lol

I agree with Maverick the black kong is the only one i still have that dosnt have chunks taken out of it. Ruby's red one looked like it got hit by a lawn mower lol.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certainly, Miikka has destroyed toys in the past. I didn't mean to imply this was the first time she ever tore apart a toy. But she’s never done it so FAST. I mean this piece of crap was literally destroyed in about 3 minutes.

I looked at the label again...it was made in China. :rolleyes2:

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Yea both my dogs destroy anything they possible can. They mostly get tennis balls, large ropes, and "stuffingless" toys. Especially toys with squeakers in them, they'll destroy just to get to the squeaker. I feel your pain
I wouldn't give my dog a tennis ball - they are way too rough and the ball skin is like sandpaper = very bad for their teeth!

·
Registered
572 Posts
After reading the horror stories of the dogs that asphyxiate from chewing toys and getting pieces stuck in their throats, I buy very few and they are immediately taken away if they start to disintegrate in any way. These toy manufacturers can advertise anything they want but have zero liability for causing the death of a dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts