German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got word that the only 2 bases available for me to move to are in Phoenix (Luke AFB) or Tucson (Davis-Monthan AFB). I put in my request for Tucson, because I'd rather work on A-10s than F-16s, and also because our children's private school exists in Tucson and there isn't one in Phoenix. I've done a little research and found that Tucson, on average, is slightly cooler than Phoenix, which would be better for the pups.

If anyone knows anything about these locations, please pass on the info to me! We are into bikejoring and would love some flat trails on dirt roads out in the country where there are not many people/dogs/vehicle traffic/distractions/wild animals if possible. We currently bikejor in a nearby cemetery early in the morning and are the only ones (living) in there, so it's great with no distractions other than the occasional squirrel.

We aren't 100% sure we're coming to AZ, and should know officially when I receive orders next month. But when I'm only offered AZ or AZ, then it looks like we're coming to AZ. Not by choice. We were hoping for Alaska or the Dakotas or someplace colder for our sled dogs. O well. Thus is life in the military.

Our goal is to buy or rent a small house that is on as much land as possible, at least multiple acres (1-5) if not more. Basically: as much land as we can afford. If I find 100 acres that's affordable, it would be a dream! I keep seeing the manufactured homes on like 5+ acres. We'd love that much land, but I'm not sure how I feel about those type of homes. My understanding is that they're basically trailers, and I don't want to live in a trailer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I coached a cycling camp in Tucson 2 years ago and it was a really nice community. There are a lot of really great parks with good access to hiking not far from town. The one thing a ranger told me to use cation with was concerning rattle snakes. He said that in the parks if you are out past dark avoid the black top because the snakes use it to stay warm. He told me stories that still make me shiver. Good luck to you and your family. I had a really great experience and hope you do too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Tuscon is typically cooler than Phoenix. I have actually never personally been to Tuscon, but those I know from there definitely prefer it over Phoenix. Luke AFB is in the far west valley of the Phoenix area, technically in Glendale. If I had to live in the Valley, the Phoenix area, it would be in the east valley. Phoenix is definitely H-O-T HOT!!!! Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts