German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am crazy.

I've always camped with dogs, so that's not new.. but now... Tucker is coming. :)

Tucker is a guy I took in when he was 10 months old (now 14 mos) who was a total wildchild. He still is a little wild. Ok, quite a bit wild. VERY friendly, but easily excitable and camping is going to be very new and potentially very overwhelming.

I'm also taking Bailey, his brother, who is a seasoned camping dog. :)

I pray they will behave well in the (small) camper together. (They're pretty good buddies the majority of the time.)

I pray Tucker won't pull his tieout out of the ground.

I pray he won't be a barking fool.

I'm going to take his huge crate that will take nearly the whole living room of my dinky camper. :D

This is going to be insane. :cry:

A good friend was going to take Tucker but got a little nervous about managing him, so instead is taking my two adult (non gsd, small, easily managed) girls.

Deep breath, hold onnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :help: :wild:

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
He may surprise you,but I am glad you are giving him the chance to go and have a good time even if he is not the most well behaved. A lot of people would just find it easier to leave him home.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He may surprise you,but I am glad you are giving him the chance to go and have a good time even if he is not the most well behaved. A lot of people would just find it easier to leave him home.
I did consider options and made calls about boarding, in home care, etc.

It would be far easier to go with one of the above options, but how will he ever really develop if I go the easy route... :blush:

He's a good boy and I love him. This trip may not be the relaxing trip I was wanting, but I'm hoping for the best! I think the first night will be the worst. I think he will be a happy dog and will acclimate. (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
He'll be so worn out that he will plop down at your feet and fall asleep every night. At least that was our experience with Scarlett. A 12 mile walk/hike in the woods did wonders for her energy level that evening. She was the most well behaved in the entire campground. :)

He'll have a blast and so will you. I'm jealous...we haven't been able to go camping for several years, due to my husband's job. When he retires, we're heading for the mountains.

Have a great time!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Chelle You are my hero. I think you and Tuck will do well cause you've worked alot with him and you know what to do. Also gotta agreee with the other poster He will be tired and a tired dog makes a happy owner. Have fun! You got A/C right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually go 4 wheeling and camp somewhere on the trail, and I always make sure that I let her out to run along side me before I get to the camp site, by the time we get to the site she just wants to hang out and relax. If you don't have that option then a good hike should do the job.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chelle You are my hero. I think you and Tuck will do well cause you've worked alot with him and you know what to do. Also gotta agreee with the other poster He will be tired and a tired dog makes a happy owner. Have fun! You got A/C right?
Yes, the camper has A/C. From your words to God's ear on the other parts!

Chelle,

Are you going to use a backpack with him?
No. He doesn't have a lot of stamina as it is. He apparently didn't get much exercise at all before I got him and he gets winded and hot easily. His brother runs circles around him in the heat .... now the backpack idea for his bro might be a very good plan!

~~

I have to admit, I'm not sure how all this is going to play out! There are no walking paths at this campground, only asphault. It'll be too hot in the mid-day for walks on that asphault. There is a beach down below our site, so I'm thinking that'll be something to try during the heat of the day and walks in early morning and nighttime only. I'm taking 6 footers for tieouts (campground requirement), and 25 foot long leads for the beach. Neither boy has ever been swimming. I'm taking prong collars, sensation harness, buckles, coupler.. you name it, I'm takin' all the gear. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Have lots of fun :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts